2016 DD 15 Engine.... Just The FACTS.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Miami Trucker, Apr 17, 2021.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Go back and read. Oil pickup tube failed, which resulted in a spun #7 main bearing. Probably will need a new crank and the journal ground for an oversize bearing if they are going to repair it. If not, new short or long block is another option.

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    What a nightmare!

people keep saying oh these new trucks are good now, just dont buy pre whatever year. But it looks to me as soon as they are out of factory warranty you are bound to have a major breakdown.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I see that but here is what I’m asking, why a whole engine?

The entire engine is scrap because of an oiling failure?

ok cut the crank, rebalance it and use it or replace it.

done this many many times and it works.

A crank isn’t the block, spinning a bearing isn’t going to take out the saddles or the liners.

that’s my point.

so many are harping on a rebuild of this engine will cause the engine to have a short life when it isn’t true unless there is a piss poor rebuild which I will say does happen, but not the norm.

the op is looking for a new engine when a used one will suffice if he could not rebuild the engine.

you know I am on the side of proactively checking the engine out before throwing down coin for it, this means also to take a proactive approach to reducing risk of an engine meltdown post purchase.

I buy trucks with cummins and Mack engines but I have others. I have the best luck with both of them. I know some cummins have issue with cams and some with fuel system issues, so if I buy a used truck, unless it is done before it is sold (proven with documentation), I go ahead and get those possible issues fixed before they are problems to reduce the risk of a breakdown,

We all know that the every engine has some problems, with the dd15 it is this oring issue , so you buy a truck with 450k on the clock, get it fixed before putting the truck on the road, right?

So how much would have this cost the op to fix?

well the part is $350 to $450.

labor I understand is five hours (maybe wrong) so it is about say on the upper end total is $1000?

Say he spent $2000 on fixing these issues, is that not cheaper than $40k?

AModelCat and razor1983 Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    We live in a replace vs repair society.

A good machine shop can fix dang near anything.

7. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Mine cost 23k. To get a rebuild 230k still runs. A gallon of oil at 18k. Now oil till 14k

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.