2016 lonestar x15. To n14 Blown motor replacment

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by fuel concierge, Dec 19, 2020.

1. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Probably best to find a same model year running ProStar for $15k or so and use it as a parts truck. Probably less expensive for a whole truck than just an engine l bet. Plus you would have a spare windshield, HVAC, transmission etc. You could part it out to repay yourself or just keep the parts for your LoneStar.

fuel concierge Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fuel concierge

fuel concierge Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2020
    I havent. Seen her in person. I bought at auction for under 20k. Interior looks decent I was told. Yard manager says truck looks good it was reposes in the middle of inframe. I was told I can get a crate engine cummins recon for 27k$

Attached Files:

4. fuel concierge

Dec 18, 2020
    Truck is located ne Maryland considering having work done there instead of transporting to south Florida. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Yes, it's a royal pain the butt

6. fuel concierge

Dec 18, 2020
    Ill be happy with 12.7 Detroit
    I thought it would be easier going cummins to cummins

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    See if Kustom trucks can make a harness for you. The electrical work will be a nightmare

fuel concierge Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I think you might be in for a shock. You likely won't get much of the core charge back unless you have all the parts to put it back to "looking" complete. Without a good core you're likely going to be paying much more than $27k

Screenshot_20201219-135634_Drive.jpg
    From the Cummins ReCon brochure. That rust on the block is gonna be a problem I think.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  9. fuel concierge

Dec 18, 2020
    I agree core charge. Comming. That's why I wanted to change to n14 or 12.7. Now Im convinced Detroit 12.7. If I can do it for reasonable labor cost for engine swap plus electrical

10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Just taking out a n14 and putting back another the same exact one, costs about $4k. I cant even imagine the amount to put a Detroit in this truck. You are most likely looking for at least 10k-15k. Plus a reman Detroit will cost another 25k.
    By the time you are all set and done, together with your purchase, you will be like 60k in this Frankenstein set up and then who knows how well will everything work.
    To do this kind of work you gotta be a mechanic and do a lot of work yourself. Honestly this will be an insane and stupid project. Put this thing back on the auction, go buy yourself a nice rebuilt 1999 truck for 50-60k and don't torture yourself

11. fuel concierge

Dec 18, 2020
    If I go Detroit 12.7. I can do locally rebuild for about 12k. With interstate mcgee
    Install electrical is what Im what Im worried. About labor $

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.