2016 peterbilt 579 sensor went out replaced sensor

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by pumpkinishere, May 19, 2022.

1. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Only to have our check engine light come back on. Stopped in at a T A and they said the volts we only 2 should be 5 but they don’t mess with any wiring so we took to a peterbilt here in Ohio and they said they fixed out volt problem but not they are wanting to check our actuator in the turbo to make sure it’s not running hot or something like that. This shop had our truck in the bay on Monday but took the truck out of bay to ask if they could check this on our turbo and we are sitting in hotel room the last 4 days. We are seriously just thinking about going to get the truck and deliver our load. Please advise on what you think we should do. The problem is we heading to New York State and don’t want to get up there with some sort of problem and the cost be higher. But we know the initial problem is fixed and feel like maybe our turbo would be ok for at least this trip.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    It was an I map sensor to begin with.

4. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    We had a derate code pop up on screen for a sec and it went away said it would derate in 3 hrs it’s been almost 3 hrs and no derate. Have any of you experienced this before? I’m guessing it was a hiccup or something but we waiting to see if derate before we go any farther.

5. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    We are continuing on it’s been. Over 3 hrs and no derate so praying it holds out for us. We are going to Syracuse, Messina and Burlington Vermont delivering these transformers. Praying no further issues.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    How much did that end up costing you?

I'm sure you know but thats just a "plug and play" sensor. No mechanic is needed to change that.

Have you changed the Delta P sensor yet? If no, I would suggest doing so... You just need a flathead screw driver...

Atleast you get to see some beautiful scenery, driving up to Messena is nice.

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  7. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    Actually the cost was going to be 388.00 and when the said they were not going to clear my engine code and I got a little louder and explained customer satisfaction to them the took 100 off my bill and cleared my code. So a total of 288.00 charge at the peterbilt but we have to account for the number of days in a room at the Hilton which was 3 days and I think 500.00 so ya it was kinda costly.
    We changed the egr delta sensor when we changed the imap sensor.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  8. pumpkinishere

Apr 21, 2021
    The crazy thing is we took it to that peterbilt on Monday on Tuesday they changed the sensor but was talking about some turbo actuator that they wanted to look into but as of today our truck was still sitting in their lot so we ubered over there told them we would pay for what they have already done and high tailed out of there. We left so abruptly after them clearing our check engine that we left without getting our key from them so I had to call and ask them to mail it to us. Actually the lady was very nice on the phone. I was surprised. We can always get another spare made but I couldn’t believe I forgot the darn key. Ugh

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.