2017 Freightliner cascadia trailer brakes smoking, not disengaging, caused by something to dotractor

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Fireballofdoom, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Fireballofdoom

Fireballofdoom Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Trying to help out my boss and the mechanic that will be looking at our truck figure out the issue. I pull double 28" trailers and just did about 2500 miles with my co driver ans everything was fine until we got a new set of 2 trailers. We got 10 miles from our hub and the brakes on all the trailers except the dolly were smoking. Tractor brakes are fine but me and my codriver think the issue resides in the tractor somewhere.

The same thing happened almost exactly about two weeks ago with our tractor and it supposedly was fixed when the brake pedal and some brake light sensors were replaced. Does anyone know what's wrong with the tractor? We are 100% sure it's the tractor causing the trailer brakes to engage and causing them to heat up. Tractor is a 2017 freightliner cascadia

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Reason for edit: Adding brand and model to post
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Have you tried removing the service line at the tractor and checking to see if air pressure is trapped in that line? The only way the tractor will be at fault is if there is air pressure in that line (or if there's insufficient air pressure in the supply line from the tractor).

x1Heavy and Jazz1 Thank this.
  4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Leaking or bad trolley valve? You are not hanging your jacket on it are you? True story... ;-)

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  5. Fireballofdoom

Jul 20, 2018
    unfortunately no.

yes we've checked that. Air pressure is going all the way to the second trailer at end too. We had taken it to Freightliner and they had worked on it for two weeks and if seemed fine on our trip to Orlando, Florida from industry, California.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Anyone inspect the trailer brakes? I don't know your operation, maybe the shop hired a new grease monkey that is adjusting the brakes a bit aggressively.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I should have been more specific. There should be no pressure in the service line when no service brakes (foot treadle or hand valve) are activated. If you break the service line gladhand at the tractor with it parked, there should be no air in that line. If there is, that would cause your trailer brakes to drag.

8. Fireballofdoom

Jul 20, 2018
    me and my co driver drive for FedEx ground and we just had the mechanic there test all the brakes, slack adjustors, air lines, etc. This issue with the brakes heating up will happen regardless which trailers are connected. Something on our tractor is definitely causing this.

9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Do you have a brake pressure application gauge on the tractor? I'm thinking like yourself, something in the tractor if that is common. I'm thinking ABS, have you had that inspected?

Fireballofdoom Thanks this.
  10. Fireballofdoom

Jul 20, 2018
    the mechanic at FedEx ground tested this and it was the first thing he checked.

11. Fireballofdoom

Jul 20, 2018
    abs light is coming on and going off repeatedly

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.