2018 International U-Joint failure

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Cwcatron, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Cwcatron

Cwcatron Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2024
    I am working for a mobile mechanic and we went on one the other day started at1pm.
    I pull up first and as I'm getting his info and details I call my seasoned mechanic. He broke his yolk at the transmission the driveshaft had spun so much it had sheared the head of the bolts off at the second U-Joint almost completely and busted his exhaust. We replaced front yolk,U-Joint,Strap & bolts, Hanger carriage at 2nd U-Joint and put new straps n bolts on second U-Joint. Informed him when he got home take it to his regular mechanic and have the drive shaft replaced. After hitting everything it did it was probably damaged, but we didn't see any cracks stopping him from going 3 hours to home. After getting that back in, he still couldn't build air. He had hit his air inlet into the rear of transmission bending the bolts up cracking one side of the threads. By this time After locating parts getting them installing them it was 9pm. I said I'm not sure I can do anything until morning and that's probably an order part. But let me see if I can get you home. I red silicone the broke thred bolt hole and put the two bolts back in just hand tight. Then took 2 hose clamps went around both holes securing it and tightened a little. Let sit for 20 minutes and said ok either she's gonna build air and or were waiting on a part tomorrow. She built air,he was headed home.
    Apparently I was off 2 or 3 splines on setting the timing on the yolks from first U-joint to the 2-one.
    A strap bolts broke on the second u- joint( we did not replace this,just new strap n bolts), and everything I installed is ok. However the 2nd u- joint is separating. He's claiming I installed wrong. I asked him to take his drive shaft to get tested and let me know and we'll go from there. International said 2 or 3 splines out will not matter,but his drive shaft bouncing everywhere will, do I refund this guy or make him get the drive shaft tested first.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
  4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Driveshaft is bent from spinning out of the yoke and hitting stuff. Doesn’t take much to bend one. That is not your fault. You got him rolling down the road again within reason. He should be happy about that and understand a temporary fix is not a guarantee.
    I’d also be willing to bet that the second u-joint was already gonna come apart because it was probably already just as bad as the front u-joint was before it broke the trans yoke causing the whole mess in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Rideandrepair and Last Call Thank this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Did he drive home 3 hours or have to stop for more repair?
    I say you did well getting him rolling. That 2nd u-joint, I would've had you replace not just straps and bolts.

2-3 splines off, might, make for a slight vibration. It won't tear a u-joint apart.

Doesn't matter what the condition of the driveshaft is now. The u-joint is the problem.

No refund.

I would R & R the driveshaft.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    In situations such as this I make sure I note on the workorder that the repair is temporary with the intent of getting home/to a shop and is not guaranteed to last. I then note absolutely EVERYTHING that needs to be checked/replaced.

CYA.

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Guys a jerk. He’s Lucky you were willing to do your best to help. A lot of Shops/Mobile repair won’t even agree to anything less than a proper repair. Call a Tow Truck. He knew the deal. Anytime I’ve convinced a Mechanic to do a temporary repair, they always note “Per Customer Request” maybe even “Against Mechanics Advice”. Make sure they sign it. Could even require initials near the notes. Amazing how fast some attitudes change. After helping him, he tries to take advantage of you. That’s just wrong. Personally I’d be offended, you owe him nothing at all.

xsetra, AModelCat and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.