2019 Analysis of Tyson Foods

Discussion in 'Tyson' started by Tishobi, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Tishobi

Tishobi Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Petersburg, VA
    Well after a little over 3 years with the company, it was time to find something better.

I worked the Northeast Region, PA drivers as they are called. There are 2 fleets run by 2 FMs, one is more northern (above VA/MD), one more southern (vise versa). Both fleets are managed out of the New Holland PA plant. Both fleets generally work a 5 on, 2 off, but weekend work is always available. The office staff works normal business hours, after hours the skeleton crew from corporate (Springdale AR) takes control. There is 5 major plants the PA drivers pull from: New Holland PA, Temperanceville VA, Glen Allen VA, Wilkesboro NC, and Pottsville PA. Typical daily mileage for a driver is ~450 miles, average weekly mileage is ~2200. PA drivers do sometimes, about once a quarter, deliver into NYC (Bronx sometimes Queens). Drivers typically pull loaded trailers from a plant, then take to a wide range of distribution centers. Rinse and repeat.

Presently Tyson is offering PA drivers:

• $0.50/mile
      • loaded or unloaded
    • $100 layover
      • If you sit for >18hrs or <200 miles within 18 hrs, w/ conditions
    • $140 NYC pay
      • If load delivers into NYC
    • $18/stop pay
      • Multi stop loads only
    • 70% lumper fee
      • If driver self unloads
    • No per diem pay
    • No detention pay
    • No breakdown pay
    • No pets
    • Passenger Policy
      • >18 y/o only and ~$20/month
    • 1 wk vacation for years 1 and 2, 2 wk 3+ years
      • Vacation must be spent by 7 day increments
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My review of the company:

Overall the experience was good. My dispatcher works really hard at his job and does look out for his drivers. I was able to home garage my truck and empty trailers. ~80% of my driving experience is more evening and night driving, mostly night.

Deliveries are typically done by appointment, although Tyson does not offer detention and certain customers prioritize others those that do charge detention. Most of your deliveries, you are being planned for your next load taking a 10 hour break at the customer. So yes, you are actively being unloaded and customer interaction while taking your break.

Tyson does have outward facing cameras, not inward. Tyson has expanded their safety expectations by deeply investing into the Bendix and camera systems. They DO track speed, they DO track following distance, among others (accidents, red light or stop signs, etc). You will be disciplined if you don't watch out for "big brother".

Tyson does offer a few company perks as well as a handful paid holidays. Although some holidays are unpaid, such as this past Memorial day. When the plants shutdown for holiday, you have no work and if you at home... you get no layover (since you are AT HOME). Long haul does get a "your birthday" holiday pay, PA drivers do not.

Majestic 670 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    I love me some Tyson

4. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
  5. Danny707

Danny707 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2019
    What made you want to leave ? I plan on filling out a application with them soon. I only have 4 months experience by myself so far.

6. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Danny where are you located?

7. Tishobi

Tishobi Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Petersburg, VA
    They're a good starter company for you. As a PA driver, I was making a decent 65k/yr and that was without opting in for weekend work. Although you will probably be mentored being so fresh with your CDL. They have dedicated drivers that mentor and they are all pretty cool. Orientation is pretty fun too.

I left due to a few reasons, the main one being that I can do better. I now have a local hourly job nearby that gets me home everyday and weekends making the same amount.

8. Danny707

Mar 26, 2019
    I live in Virginia Beach, VA about 1hr 30min from both Tyson plants in Temperanceville and Glenn Allen , VA.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  9. Danny707

Mar 26, 2019
    I totally get you ! I’m OTR for Schneider I’ve done a great job so far 25k miles no incidents so far. I’m on a 12 on 2 1/2 days off a schedule I’m currently making 43CPM averaging between 2600-3200 miles a week. I’m just looking for something that will Pay around the same but will have more option home time and I also want to touch the freight load and unload. I love being active and driving same time.

10. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Danny Tyson isnt for you if you want to unload. Most loads out of that area are heavy. And Tyson doesnt want us unloading. We are supposed to call and get permission to even climb into the back of the trailer

11. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    yeah- I read your initial post of everything they offer-

NOT IMPRESSED- i thought Tyson paid better and provided better benefits with the pay structure.

65k per year running nights and grocery houses for your 10/break SUCKS bad.

Should be Hourly pay anytime your not driving-but on duty
    Should be better vacation days-and personal days- 2 weeks after 3 years is alright-What about after 10 years? 4 weeks? Thats no good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.