2019 Cascadia Skipshooter Installation

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by madmoneymike5, Dec 13, 2019.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Chk my vids again..I do mention the one diff between the 2 latest models....
    Coax/electrial on latest all goes down the pillar from dash...prev model goes out through firewall under steering column via rubber grommet..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Supply to ground. Might need to experiment with different values.
    [​IMG]

4. SIMON7

SIMON7 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Hello....this forum and specifically this thread are of importance to me .I have viewed your utube vids and maybe everyone elses on the subject. In preperation of ordered parts arriving.To do an install on a 19 cascadia.This is my first and my cb radio background is limited to the one I had in my car in hs in the mid 70's so.....I'm so ancient it may have only been a 23 channel I cant remember that far back....might be 70's brain damage....anyhow I bought antennas on impulse....flying J at Northfield MN had Truck spec TSPS-13K13KB for $10.00.....3ft...
    So that is what I am working with
    I ordered procomm perch bolts
    SSR50C .....
    And SPM50 BOLT
    SO....today I viewed information saying a Cophase antenna arrangement should be mounted on the same horizontal plane. at same vertical height...with same length cable.
    Other 411 indicates that coiling or looping excess cable can cause static collection.
    I see you folks do not reccommend the springs....DOES THAT......also apply to the 3ft sticks I have?
    I also ordered pro comm heavy duty barrel springs....
    As well as spring loaded quick disconnects....
    And a 3 way T connector pl259-so239
    M-F,F....
    So.....open to comments and warnings about these item and....this particular truck is equipped stock with a dash top mount bracket in the triangle with power and grnd thumb screw cap lugs and factory antenna connect....
    So your video said there is a rubber grommet pass through hole hidden behind the body panel on the ( 19 ) all Cascadia you think no matter how equipped ?....The firewall grommet I can see above the flat black plate you said you attempted removing on a 16 w/o success.....is loaded with wiring and seems fixed solid.....
    But you are saying there is another different one Right.... ???
    Hidden behind the body panel if I am understanding you correctly ?
    But then...to maintain equal cable length blind curbside....I am going to have to find somewhere on the doorpost and weatherstripping to snake that side through also....OR...do you SUPPOSE....there is replication of what is on the drive side ?
    I have a flat blank cover plate 9.75 inch by 7.25 w/o guages like drilled for mounting a qualcomm where you hang your phone on a mag....like I do....
    I took it off in hopes there was space so I could cut a same size plate with a slot opening to attach my radio to...
    LOL....just to find the HVAC two inches behind....so ok I forgot that delusion but I could use that access to snake cable through dash to the factory wiring hole in top of dash at the dash mount brkt maybe....and access to hit the same hole from the removable panel on the blind curbside maybe.
    Thoughts on any or all are welcome but mostly I wanted to double confirm the grommeted passage behind or hidden. Behind the body panel before I go pulling body panels on someone elses truck.....1099-R.....
    Thanks Craig....or anyone....or everyone....lol....I can provide photographic explanation if or as needed or necessary.

5. SIMON7

SIMON7 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Seems like they intentionally mnfctrd these new models to prevent using anything but the factory antenna.

6. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    The latest model cascadia has the grommet behind the panel that holds the signal light...The prev model has the firewall grommet..pick what ever suits your truck..
    Only time you need to worry about the door rubber is when you need to pull the plastic piller post plastic off to route coax...
    3ft ant are not gonna be worth a #### and get rid of any springs cause you dont need them..Ant should be atleast 5ft and thats barely enough....
    Mounting position of the radio is up to you but im not one for drilling holes n such..I use whats there or dbl sided tape,heavy duty stuff..
    Co phaseing on the cascadias or any trk is not really worth the extra work,expence or cleaning n mounting hassel for the lil gains you get..
    Buy the cascadia mirror mount for the year you have,heavy duty stud(not any of them that are chromed junk)from wilson and a min of 5ft ant of choice(no wilson 2000 style or monkey made,predator 10k)thats top loaded..
    Run coax as mentioned in my vid just take your time fishing coax through as not to cut it on possible sharp edges or pulling pl259 end off..

SIMON7 Thanks this.
  7. SIMON7

SIMON7 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Ok...so I did some checking on the skipshooters which dont come with mounts anyhow....so basicly my useless 3ft truckspec fj bargain provided me mounts and cable for what mounts cost anyhow....so no great loss...
    I am willing to throw $ at it to get decent performance and upgrade to the skipshooters....singles sell for about 40....on S7's....found a place with a pair for 60....free ship or parts outlet has them 30-35 plus 15 for pair shipping so....I am tempted by the extra 5 a piece for realtree camo....but may just get black...impressed by the no cut/trim tuning nail design where you just push it in or pull out.....simple quick and easier I would expect.
    Manufactured since 67 also...they should know what they are doing.
    5000 watt ability and 17 guage wire wrap sounds good.
    Only looking at $ 55 extra expense for cophase blind curbside....would just need to be more conscious of. tree #### ....on that side.
    Not real clear about what you are saying on mount stuff....my stock dash bracket has rubber cushion strip and a velcro hold down strap...which I have a couple extra strap even....but wondering if a 360 clamp lock mount in same place would obstruct blindside fwd mirror view....or be dot illegal. Can't obstruct that lifesaver.
    Thanks.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You need a minimum 7 foot antenna for that truck due to the low mounting location.

SIMON7 Thanks this.
  9. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Don't get two. With the angle you have to mount Skipshooters, it's already hard enough to dodge trees, signs, other trucks, and trailers with just one, no matter what side you install the one. Two? I cringe at the thought of having to mind two.

craig_sez Thanks this.
  10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Buy the two ant and keep one for later..Do not cophase..More hassel and work for very little gain..Beside they will not be far enough apart to work correctly...I cant explain cause i dont know myself but i was told once and didnt get it at that time...
    Mounting the radio is as i said up to you..
    I just used my example cause up top is no good..To small and you will end up kinking the coax and unless you sit high in the chair,hard to see screen clearly..
    Dont use any of the studs that come with bracket,junk of the junk....

11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Chances are the coax is a cophased if nought as a set..Cant use it cause its ment for cophase..You need a single coax for one ant..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.