2019 Freightliner weight isses

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CharlesS, Feb 25, 2019.

1. CharlesS

CharlesS Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Just started with a new company running in the Southwest and getting home throughout the week and that's great. My issue and headache is the truck. It's a 2019 Felreightliner Cascadia auto with a Detroit engine. Truck runs great but darn near every load puts me overweight on my steer tires. Moving the 5th wheel and tandems sometimes will help or make it worse. Usually have to move things around and reweigh about 3 or 4 times before it's good to go which eats up a lot of time. Don't know if it matters but pulling a refer trailer with a Carrier unit. Right now in CA with a load truck and load weighing only 40K but still over 500lbs heavy on the steer tires. When I worked for Werner I'd pull loads twice as heavy and never had to touch the 5th wheel, just move the tandems.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    12,500 - 12,700 is typical on the Cascadia but it’s not a problem. If you’re running heavier than that, then maybe there’s a discussion to be had.

Get it to ~12,600 full of fuel and 34,000 on drives then forget about it. Most of the fuel burn weight will come off of the steer axle if it’s a typical fleet sleeper Cascadia.

Omega1 Thanks this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    What is the weight rating on your tires? Or your steer axle. 12,500 may be ok.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    90% of the heavy, full fuel Cascadia condos out here today are probably running at or above 12,500 on the steer and nobody is getting hassled about it.

Omega1 Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I"m guess 13,000 is the standard spec these days.

My last 2 were.

I don't know why everyone gets in a panic because they're over 12,000

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I could not care if it was over 12K ever. I don't know of any incident that mattered.

I do think that modern tractors have gotten obese in a way but eh... fill em and run it.

8. Liquidforce

Liquidforce Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    Most cascadias ive seen are specced with a 13,200 front axle. have a look at your vin sticker in the door

9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Every truck should have a sweet spot on the 5th wheel so you won’t have to move it anymore for 95% of the loads. If you have moved the 5th wheel all the way back, and your steers are still overweight, they loaded you too heavy in the front, especially since you have a reefer trailer. That is one of the reasons why on loads over 40k they typically put a single pallet on the first row, or two singles on the first two rows.

There are only a few states with low steer axle weight limits, according to the 2019 Rand McNally road atlas:
    • Indiana (12,000)
    • Louisiana (12,000)
    • Mississippi (12,000)
    • North Dakota (550 lb./inch of tire width)
    Using my steer tires of 275 mm (10.8268 in) width, I can only be 11,909 in my steers in ND.​
    • Some states mention tire manufacturer rating
    My steer tires have a tire manufacturer rating of 12,350 total, which can be found on the sidewall of the tire.​

My steer axle is rated to 12,000. This can be found on the side of the driver door. It’s interesting to note that the road atlas does not mention steer axle rating as a weight limit, but that’s not to say they won’t cite you for exceeding your equipment axle rating.

One last note, you will find on the road atlas that several states allow over 80,000 gross. However, you probably need a permit for that and a truck/trailer that can handle the weight.

Attached Files:

olddog_newtricks Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    MT allows 81k. But must be legal on axles. So a tandem trailer would have to have 13 on the steers Utah allows 1%.

11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

MT shows 80k in the road atlas. Anything over 80k probably requires a permit. Most fleets are also probably only registered to haul 80k. You can find this on your truck’s registration and on the side of your truck near your USDOT#. If you have an APU, most states allow 400 or 550 pounds over 80k.

I forgot to mention that the road atlas doesn’t say 1% overgross for UT. It says 80k and steer axle based on the tire manufacturer rating.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Reason for edit: Clarification on last paragraph
    Hsalf Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.