2020 Volvo 860 murphy bed renovation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nahbrown, May 6, 2024.

1. Nahbrown

Nahbrown Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)
    For those who have never been in a Volvo from 2020 here are a few pics of the standard table which uses the seat cushions to make a bed.

IMG_3728.jpeg IMG_3727.jpeg

What you really get is a mattress that sucks and then you have to remove your bedding to use the table.

Heres what we did to ours. Using plywood and piano hinges we now have an 5” foam mattress that comes down. When the bed is up the table latches to 1/4” rods I mounted at the right height.

we covered the plywood with blue material leftover from our sailing days. I like the look :)

IMG_2853.png IMG_2850.jpeg

Us

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Blagoje, tarmadilo, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Great job. The sleeper area looks comforting. Very roomy also. Job well done.

Thrasher28 and Nahbrown Thank this.
  4. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    I swore I would never own another truck other than a Volvo because of the Dinette. I left mine up and slept on the top bunk. Then I found out Freightliner had that option and went with the Cascadia. It's a real bed with a factory 8" mattress. The table and chairs collapse/fold down easier. I'm a Cascadia fan now...:dontknow:

86scotty, loudtom and Concorde Thank this.
  5. Nahbrown

Nahbrown Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)

It’s not a fair comparison, but we went from a 2023 Cascadia to a 2020 Volvo. We miss the Freightliner now because of how it was set up for driver and sleeper, comfort, and storage.

we really miss the adaptive cruise control

LOTSO Thanks this.
  6. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    Yep.

7. broke down plumber

broke down plumber Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2024
    Not a trucker , i didnt know they even did this . I much prefer eating at a table , i dont wear my dinner near as often .

Nahbrown Thanks this.
  8. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    My company has been buying Kenworth T-680 tractors, and they’ve been coming with a table that folds down (I think) behind the passenger seat giving you a place to eat while sitting on the lower bunk. Here’s a pic from a Google search: 9545805D-1968-428C-AE6F-2C4B112A4254.jpeg

Sons Hero, 86scotty, Nahbrown and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Blagoje

Blagoje Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2022
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    My company has that set up in their KW t680s as well, it's my favorite feature of the truck. I think Volvo does the swivel chair as well and if so that is something that I don't want to do without now.

As far as the Volvo trucks go, I looked at a few yesterday at my local dealer and I don't know if I would rather have the table to replace the bottom bunk or the mattress recliner down there.

86scotty, Nahbrown and tarmadilo Thank this.
  10. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    European trucks have been doing things like this for decades, and it's surprising what they can do with what we would call a single-sleeper COE. Many European trucks have built the cab straight up from the windshield, pushing the overhead bunk forward, making it the larger of the 2. With an overhead skylight/hatch and small upper windows, this makes a rather nice place to sleep. The lower bunk is usually only used for sleeping while in motion.

11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I love my Volvo dinette but I'd almost rather have this. Didn't KW or somebody used to do this with more of a couch across the back that you could use as the other side of the table and fold down as a bed?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.