$2021 PER MONTH INSURANCE IS THIS HIGH OR OK FOR FIRST YIME BUYER?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by arif shah, Apr 2, 2021.

1. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    My first year was around 18k for new entrant

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GraniteRiver

GraniteRiver Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Prices have gone up quite a bit. Just started another one and its in the low $20k's with clean driving record and experience for the driver. Just have to take a big bite of the #### sandwich and make it through the first couple years.

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    It has everything to do with where he lives. Rates on the west coast for new authority start around what the OP was quoted. My guess is that he's in a high premium area.

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Credit score seems to be a big factor in quotes.

6. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    No. Nobody is giving the important information.
    Liability limit, mileage radius, deductible, truck value, trailer value, driving history, under/uninsured

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Nobody is giving. But they're getting.

There's a reason why some are being quoted 35g and others are quoted 9g.

My quote was 9g on a 3 year old truck.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am one truck/ one dry van establishment who finds 100% freight on load boards. $9,056.00 was the total I spent on insurance costs for the business in 2020. That includes Auto Liability, General Liability, Cargo, Physical Damage/Theft. Equipment valued at $45,000 and radius of operation is over 500 miles.

One thing that I ponder is the realization that the market (brokers/shippers) could not care less about what someone's insurance premiums are or even equipment's worth is, for contracting a load to a carrier - while many of us think that they should. Or that many think, when entering the field that they will somehow have the ability to dictate the rates to the market by virtue of their costs being elevated, as if they were more in demand than the rest - the cheaper haulers with less overhead.

At the end of a day, a lousy truck parked next to a new shiny one will haul for the same rate, or even higher, and even if it does it for less, it will never be low enough to make the trip less profitable. As a matter of fact, in a way, the lousiest one will be the one dictating the terms of what the rate is for the rest.

Therefore, it'll be unequal game for those of you, by bringing over $200 000 worth of equipment and over 2K per month of insurance premiums vs. those that have they rigs and trailers paid off and premiums under 8K.

There, definitely, must be a business plan for those entering this competitive world with such an overhead. Finding freight on a load board isn't exactly the long term business plan. It has been all right since June of 2020 until now, but don't be under illusion that it will continue like that long enough so that you can pay those rigs off with ease and become millionaires.
    Another thing to realize is that, currently, there is a strongly lobbied agenda for increasing the auto liability minimum. The effect of such a change is hard to predict by the very pros in the insurance field. One thing for sure, for new entrants, it is no good news. I recommend to join OOIDA as they seem to be the only whistleblowers that at least try to do something about it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    TheLoadOut and black_dog106 Thank this.
  9. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Curious as to how much experience you have? And were you leased on before?

10. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Liability limit, mileage radius, deductible, truck value, trailer value, driving history, under/uninsured, cargo insurance, reefer break down insurance, age etc.
    It's so many different variables that no one mentions.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I could of, and probably will next year, it was like $100 a month to do payments but after a fresh motor I was more comfortable leaving it in my account for the time being, just in case

86scotty Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.