2021 VNL heater core replacement

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by 86scotty, Dec 10, 2023.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    My heater core is leaking from the condensation drain on the front of the firewall, just under air filter housing. I have seen a hack on Youtube where you can get the box apart and replace it without removing the whole box and evacuating HVAC system.

@nasriza or one of you Volvo mechanics, I'm wondering if you've done this on the newer VNL? The videos I found were on the old VNL.

I have replaced a blower motor before so I've had the right side of dash apart and I know I can do the job, I just don't have HVAC equipment. I don't mind hacking my box up and taping it back together if I can avoid evacuating the system.

I got the new heater core and O ring kit from Volvo for around $125.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    do not need to take the box apart can be done with box in the truck i have never taken it out for heater core just for evaporator.

86scotty Thanks this.
  4. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Videos of old vnl are same do not need to take box apart relatively easy to do. just remove internal plastics.

Siinman and 86scotty Thank this.
  5. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Hey @nasriza, this truck is fairly new to me. Last weekend I didn't have time to change the heater core so I put in ball valves on the heater core lines so I can manually bypass it. ( I did this on my last truck too). I shut them off to stop the leak and then turned them back on a couple days later when it got cold and I needed heat.

Heater core hasn't leaked since.

Siinman Thanks this.
  6. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Wonderful

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Probably leak was around O-ring where heater core connection and dried coolant plugs leak. My rear heater did it.

86scotty and Siinman Thank this.
  8. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    That was my guess too. Just ran a thousand miles in a couple of days and still no leak.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.