20c/mile new driver. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Noobtr, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Noobtr

Noobtr Bobtail Member

May 30, 2018
    Yes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    20000 miles a week is impossible unless your running close to 200 km/hr 24 hrs a day

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    If you tell me who the companies are, I can tell you if they're full of #### or not.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Noobtr and Jazz1 Thank this.
  5. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I would laugh in their face. Find a United States company that will hire you to do border crossings and get US Dollars. Cabotage laws don't restrict that i believe. Just an Idea.

Noobtr Thanks this.
  6. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Get your Red Seal and stick to cooking where you are compensated for all your hours and sleep in a bed each night, likely with some truckers lonely wife or girlfriend

Raamman, Oldironfan and Noobtr Thank this.
  7. Noobtr

Noobtr Bobtail Member

May 30, 2018
    Lol, if you do math after income tax. Ei etc you get more like 15

8. LewisR91

LewisR91 Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I will have 2 years experience July 5th. I started at at Loveland Distribution in VA delivering beer locally. After earning my CDL through the company and my own route i was projecting 60k plus. I worked there exactly a year. Half of 2016 to July 5 2017. By middle June or 6 months before taxes i made 32k. not bad for a newbie driver. From what i have heard most beverage companies pay like that. Its hard work. My back gave out every month im only 27. Maybe thats something to look into is beverage delivery. I didnt pay a dime for my CDL Loveland covered the expense. Theres a ton of great paying jobs once you hit your year mark. I wont put my company on blast but i drive for a contract carrier that has 300 plus terminals nation wide with many accounts to choose from. I currently haul the Publix Grocery Stores account. Home daily .42 cents a mile 15 dollars a stop and 18 dollars a hour delay or anything extra for example a trailer sweep or a yard check. 10 dollar drop and hook. 50 dallars if i get dispatched on a scheduled day off. The best part is if there is no load i get paid 144 to sit at the house. I average 2500 miles a week. Average 4 stops a day. 5 drop and hooks a week. Once i add in the extras i average 1500 a week. If i work on a day off which happens frequently i easily make 1800. Made as much as 2096 in a week. Most senior driver was on vacation lucky me. But to answer your questions 20 cents a mile is terrible. 2000 miles a week for a team is terrible. Never sign a contract. Try not to get sucked into what these companies claim they pay on the job search engines. Most mega carriers say they will pay you and have you home once a week its a scam to get you in the door. The basic ads that dont give much info and make you call them are the best ones and often the ones overlooked like the company i drive for now. Do your research. Theres alot of great dudes on youtube that talk the truth about trucking. If i was you i would start locally first then move into OTR. Im sure you have seen ads that say "Become a driver trainer only 6 months experience required! Join the SWIFT team NOW!" Thats what them mega carriers do and that may be who trains you is that guy with 6 months experience. Not to scare you but be careful brother. REASEARCH RESAERCH RESEARCH

Noobtr Thanks this.
  9. TransportNService

TransportNService Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Guelph, ON
    20k miles is impossible to cover in 7 days.
    For example: If the truck did a steady 60mph for 24hrs straight - you would cover 1440miles in a 24hr period.
    1440miles x 7days = 10,080miles. (mind you, this does not take into account fuel stops, restroom breaks, or any time spent at shipper/receivers. Even as a team, necessary stops are required.

I really wish you luck in your search. Make sure that you do what you feel is best for you. Being with a company that will give you the experience you need, and keeps you rolling in equipment that is maintained is very vital.

Oldironfan and Noobtr Thank this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I started at Swift in 2008 with a cdl and yard truck driving prior to swift. I was paid .25 a mile.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  11. Noobtr

Noobtr Bobtail Member

May 30, 2018
    My bad just contacted back and its 20000 miles for 1 month. So about $4000 a .onth as a beginner driver sounds alright as it still more than kithen job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.