20c/mile new driver. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Noobtr, Jun 27, 2018.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Same here, I started at .33cpm plus event pay. I toughed that out for 6 months, then got a raise to 0.36cpm plus event pay, I toughed that out for 6 more months and quit. 3 days after my 1 year of OTR experience, my phone was ringing constantly, emails and FB messages from companies like crazy. I screwed up and went to work for a friend doing power only contractor, huge mistake. Even with that 4 month disaster on my work history, I had 10 job offers the day after that company went bankrupt.

So yes, 0.22cpm-0.35cpm (solo) for 6-12 months sucks, it really does, but IMHO its worth it to make it to the good companies. The Versa Cold deal looks terrible, but the #### pay is only for 6 months, then you go full rate, so is it that bad? (compared to the 2 year Bison slave show).

Just don't get conned into teaming or incorporating, but know you have some dues to pay to get that insurance history.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    When I started with my company last year the first 6 months were supposed to be less than full rate but once my manager saw I was doing the full job I was paid full rate by the 3rd month. Other drivers had told me that they had asked when they realised they were doing as much as anyone else and recieved full rate before 6 months.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  4. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    I checked the pay sheet and new drivers start at 41 cents a mile and go to 47 after 6 months.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.