2A and delivering to federal facilities?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bret1984, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Bret1984

Bret1984 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm in a bit of a predicament. This load I have is delivering to a federal facility. I declared my personal protection to the guards figuring that they could probably just hold it for me but instead they freaked out. After an hour their LT showed up and said that I need to leave and come back without it. The closest friend I have is an hour and a half away and he's at work. I'm thinking this may end up being a tomorrow delivery after driving 3 hours out of route. Boss isn't too happy but he'll get over it. They should have told me it was going to a federal facility. We're Texans for Pete's sakes. Anyhow, what do you guys do with your personal protection in these situations?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I'd probably find the nearest gun shop and ask if they could hold it.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Uber/Lyft to a gun store and ask them to hold your gun. Or, have the gun store near the customer ship it to the gun store near your home or company terminal or wherever you will be in a few days. As far as I know, the only legal way to ship a firearm is through a gun store/Federal Firearms Licensed dealer (FFL). For example, If I carried a firearm when I was trucking and my truck broke down 2,000 miles from home and the company decided to fly me back home, I would have gotten a ride to an FFL/gun store and paid to ship it to my neighborhood gun store/FFL. You CAN ship a firearm in checked luggage of an airliner but only if you have the appropriate container, locks, and fill-out the airline's declaration form.

5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    You can ship it to yourself without an FFL. Maybe send it home through USPS. I've shipped a bunch of guns with them without issues

6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    which is slightly more ticklish with handguns since shipping options are limited by the carriers embargoes. Legally, however, you can mail a firearm to yourself. Practically, it’s a bit of a hassle.

Hide it in the bushes behind the pickle park?

7. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    You're right. Wasn't thinking of the handgun.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Get one of those ups or Amazon lock boxes. Pay it for about 2 or 3 hrs then grab it when your done.

Also stop telling ppl you have it.

9. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    That’s not a good idea if you’re entering a federal facility where the chances of an effective search are much higher than other facilities. I’m not going to tell the rent a cop at the grocery warehouse I have one but going onto a military base or prison is a whole other ball game

10. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Back when I did stuff like that. I went to several air force, marine, and navy instalations. And it never was a problem. Also have been to prisons when I worked for roadway. Again never an issue because they never knew.

They only time you should say anything about it. Is to the cop, after you put hot ones in whom ever tried to rob you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.