2m, 6m, or 10m Ham radios which is best, why

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by oldcornbinder, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    I know it's an old post but it's interesting. I just found out here locally 2m and 70 cm are the channels. I'm looking into studying for my ticket.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    On 2 and 440 mhz 90% are on FM so you can get away with a dual band fm radio.

On 6 and the HF bands 80-10 you neen a SSB radio There are many good ones old and new I like the IC-718 ot a FT-450 for under $700 IF you can find a IC-706 MK2 used it is also a good radio as is the FT-840.

Lots to choose from.

Attached Files:

4. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Since you are wanting to do it 'legal & right' (and that's a good thing, IMHO), stay away from the so-called "10 Meter 'amateur'" radios. They are ILLEGAL for use on CB. Sure, it would handy to have 10 and 11 Meters in ONE radio, but these things are NOT FCC-approved, and will never be. Should you ever get caught USING one of them on CB, you could lose your amateur license + get a fine. There's a whole string of them at www.arrl.org. Follow the yellow border to "amateur radio enforcement". or go to FCC.gov/enforcement. Follow the links. Some of them are pretty recent.

The legal route is to buy/keep an FCC-approved, 40 channel, non-modified CB radio and then buy ham radios as needed to cover amateur. There is an old saying: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". IOW, when on CB, do the usual (legal) stuff on CB. When doing ham stuff, keep the CB (equipment, lingo, etc) OUT of it.:biggrin_2559:

GF

savagemyth and celticwolf Thank this.
  5. Phil1Fla

Phil1Fla Light Load Member

May 12, 2008
    Beavercreek, Oregon
    Well My first Ham rig was a 2 meter rig. I was driving coast to coast at the time and I found out that I was almost never out of range of a repeater.
    If someone else was on I had someone to talk to. I still own and use the second 2 meter radio I bought, and she still works fine. I paid $150.00 for her at Texas towers. And yes you have to watch with mike you pick up. I run more then one ham rig and I have picked up the wrong mike. Also on the duel band radios make sure you are on the side that peolpe are talking on.

6. savagemyth

savagemyth Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2010
  7. Yup

Yup Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Everywhere,USA(Texas)
  8. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    I don't see any band or location given .....:biggrin_25513:

9. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    2 meter fm beams here Stacked 5 at 7 foot apart with the vertical I worked this station on both FM/SSB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Thanks for the info....wow I forgot about this thread, it's 1.5 years old....but hey on a high note, I took my first tech exam this past Saturday and passed. So they say by this Wednesday my name should be in the FCC's list.

I'm pretty stoked. now I'm looking into seeing what radio would be best for me.....so far I've been told a dual band but didn't realize their prices....until now. Might have to just buy a HT over the mobiles and they're really not my cup of tea.

11. kc0iv

kc0iv Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Parkville, Mo

Good going on the Ham ticket.

As to the HT. I found after I bought my HT I couldn't trade it in on a another radio when I wanted to upgrade.

Leon
    (kc0iv)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.