2m, 6m, or 10m Ham radios which is best, why

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by oldcornbinder, Jan 14, 2009.

1. DX-trinity

DX-trinity Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Ashton, NE
    They take a check LOL A scanner seams more feasible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. savagemyth

savagemyth Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Congrats on taking the plunge. 2m and 70cm have a ton of activity and there's always a repeater tower within range wherever you go. Lots of truckers keep their CB on low in the backround and dedicate their time on 2m, where you can have nice long convos that don't run out of signal in 3 miles. I recommend a dual bander like the Kenwood V-71a that's programmable with lits of memory banks for all the different areas you get to. 10m is sparse, 6m is sporadic. Good luck.

K9ZLX
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

4. st-4

st-4 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2012
    be advised that even if you can modify a radio to work in the 11 meter band it is not a type accepted transmitter and there fore not alowed same goes for opening up a 2 meter or 440 transmitter for for use on comercial bands you however use a comercial radio in ham bands just not the otherway around as a final note in an emergancy all bets are off which is why some hams opt for these mods

5. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    I opted for the Mod for my listening pleasure is things are quiet on the ham bands. You are right, no transmitting is allowed out of ham bands except in a emergency.

6. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    FT-100D .... nice radio but not very reliable ....

Attached Files:

7. fireba11

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    knock on wood **** I haven't had any problems with it in the 7 years I've owned it.

8. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    I sold mine to a local with no problems however they are well know for blowing the VHF/UHF fimals and the replacements are $300 + install ....

If you reserach the radio will find this to be true ....

I replaced mine with a IC-706mk2 ....

Attached Files:

9. fireba11

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    I don't really talk much on VHF/UHF bands much. I really enjoy HF, that is where my true joy is in Ham radio.

10. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    I work some HF but with my eyesight problems and still recovering from eye repair surgery and being almost blind right now things are on hold for any additions past my 2 meter station .....

If you have a band you like let me know ans with the station as is i still can go from 40-2 meters just it is a bit hard to use the radios at this time ....

The TS-2000 gets a good workout on HF as well as my 10, 6 and 2 FM si8mplex spots ...

11. fireba11

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    TS=2000...nice rig! Always wanted one of them. Got a Yaesu Ft 920 for home base, I'm in the process right now of building a beam antenna to replace my carolina windom I recently took down.

I don't carry the FT 100d anymore in my truck. My truck is equipped with a panic button because of the freight I haul and anything over 25 watts will set it off I'm told. Tell you what, I sure miss not having it though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.