2nd triple fatality in week in work zone involving tractor-trailer

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by MrBoDarville, Jul 22, 2019.

1. yes indeed back in the day that growling sound used to be a nice set of Jake brakes cracking slowing down..nine times out of 10 now it's some CSA idiot rolling across the idiots strips you're right about that..
    I tried to explain that to somebody and you should have seen how his eyes opened wide they got when I said;
    now picture every time as often as that happens want to truck leave the lane and hits the idiot strips.. that's a truck that there's a good chance would probably be off the road. now think about that truck hauling hazardous materials hauling anything crashing into a neighborhood. comforting to know isn't it..this is what we have to deal with on a daily basis is old school trained professional drivers..
    he simply nodded in silence and walked away..

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. most of them for bottom Barrel companies that don't have any cameras..

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Remember this?

The driver is now rightfully in jail.

5. was that that tool in the tanker that got the dubious honor of making it to ABC news I think it was 20 20 of the time he really got good exposure..
    or maybe that was another isolated incident out in the desert I remember it by this don't remember the year

stillwurkin, FlaSwampRat and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Maybe you should check accident statistics of older drivers compared to younger ones before publicly making such a dumb comment. True enough that these two were not shining examples. But statistically, the old experienced guys win pretty handily.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  7. that's most of the time that's true.
    however sometimes stupidity abounds.
    I'll see you after I remember some people join the trucking industry at a later time to after doing something else so once again here in lies the problem of minimal to zero trained.
    I remember back in the day when I did a little training stint in late 90s I was at the time in 1999 29 years old.
    those are some of the hardest ones to train because of the simple fact they wouldn't listen.
    you're 29 and your training someone who's 44 years old or even 50 plus at the time for that matter and here's the bottom line they wouldn't listen they knew more than you you don't know nothing you're just a kid it's like okay and of course it has to blow up in their face and I just got tired of it and didn't want to train anymore bought my own trucks and was an owner operator for 11 years..
    unfortunately what continues on for those that have pretty much come into the industry from the mid-2000s is there so used to social media and playing with their phones.
    if you remember before the truck cell phone ban everybody was playing with them including me I'm not afraid to say that yes I did I texted I goofed off going down the road back around in mid 00 s.
    cuz she was easier then you didn't have the Androids or the iPhones in the flat screens he had a little flip phone really couldn't read the internet going down the road with those little dinky handheld phones the size of a clam shell...
    but yes that's very true usually the older people are a lot safer cuz they're a lot more experience for the most part there are definitely different cases though..

x1Heavy and stillwurkin Thank this.
  8. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Exactly. .used to be( probably still is with jersey barriers on your right) a very sharp turn towards progress street to Heinz in Pittsburgh. The first barrier angled up from ground level, then up to standard height. Guy pulled his trailer clean up to the top, till his trailer set down on his LS drives and he couldn't move. Went past figured a young driver. Wrong, older guy. That's when i realized newbies can be older. Guessing year 1999, to 2001, been a while back. But normally the hammer heads driving down the roads are younger. Always exceptions to the rule.

9. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Stillwurkin hit on the problem, inexperience rather than age.

But inexperience is only one fault of drivers around the world, there are others like selfishness, irresponsibility, ignorance, disrespect, dishonesty, the inability to comprehend, and then there's just plain stupid.

These are all human traits that a serious professional of any kind overcomes and does not let them interfere with or influence that professionalism, regardless of age.
    One of the greatest traits of a professional is having an aptitude for the occupation, which I think should be part of the qualifications for truckers.

I can tell you for certain that there are truckers out there who have done 20 or 30 years and still don't get it.
    They've been at the same "safe" job their entire lives and that's all it is to them, a pay check.
    They learned how to shift a 10 speed and steer the truck while pulling a half loaded dry van and that's all that was ever required of them.
    Their desire to progress and learn is not there, changing a glad hand grommet or trouble shooting a simple electrical problem like changing a lightbulb is like quantum physics to many of them, as it is to most newbies today it seems.

10. yeah Heinz was always fun back in the day you better hope you had a good clutch when you were leaving that factory to up at that at stop light...more than one newbie drop the drive shaft and had to get towed out of there that boy did the tow trucks reap the money... nowadays with the auto trannys it's not quite as bad just don't roll it...that's like driving the car get your foot off the brake and mash the gas and get it moving no clutch to worry about..
    but yes indeed Heinz would definitely be a place to take a student back in the day if your company hauled out of there or anywhere in the Pittsburgh Mongahelia Valley

x1Heavy and stillwurkin Thank this.
  11. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    I’ve noticed people are not using their hazards when it comes to abrupt slow downs.
    More than once I’ve almost been rear ended (usually a truck) even with my hazards on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.