3 kids die when car attempts a U-turn on I-80

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by LoboSolo, May 6, 2019.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Doesn’t get any simpler than that. They also teach you to go to the next exit if you missed your previous one.

NavigatorWife and Intothesunset Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I suspect you're right about that. Now he has to live with the fact he's responsible for 3 deaths, one of those his own grandson.

I don't know if jail accomplishes anything in a situation like this. A kid lost his brother and his two best friends, taking away his grandpa won't help. Another person lost their child, taking away their father won't help their loss.

But it wasn't just an accident IMO. I call it an unacceptable level of carelessness and negligence.

Bud A. and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    The guy was 62, I doubt seriously he had drivers ed. Have none of you ever turned around on an interstate.
    Some of us live very sheltered lives. I am not saying it was not stupid or a bad mistake, but mistake it was.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Why would you think that he didn't have drivers' ed? My mother who is 84 had drivers' ed in high school.

Bud A. and 201 Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    It's very possible he did not have drivers ed, that was a city thing, but had nothing to do with this. We don't know the circumstances behind this, not sure how you couldn't see a truck, medical emergency maybe? Can you imagine how this guy feels?

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Making u-turn on the interstate with 3 kids is just plain retarded .... I make regular left turns with my kids much slower allowing oncoming traffic to pass to make sure its safe ...speechless ...parents worst nightmare to outlive or loose their kids :(

DenBob and Bud A. Thank this.
  8. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    If driver can speak English this doesn't meant he can read and understand same language.
    My bet is if truck driver name sounds as foreigner he or company he's working for will be charged.

9. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    No I never have. Never!

BR313, Rocks, justcarhaulin and 6 others Thank this.
  10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    What makes you think the trucker will be charged?? It doesn't matter if he is from Timbucktu and speaks Swahilee. lol

11. willisl64

willisl64 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Slow your roll guys - truck here was not at fault, the driver of the car has so much as admitted to guilt or negligence, or whatever you want to call it. My friends mother-in-law was the first person on the scene of the accident. She administered CPR to one of the deceased while trying to console one of the surviving minors. The driver of the car will have to live in a mental hell for the rest of his days knowing his actions caused this, and the poor truck driver will probably have nightmares for the rest of his life recounting "what-ifs", even though he wasnt at fault. Just a horrible story, so much loss and hurt. Just offering up prayers to all involved.

Rocks, sevenmph, Dale thompson and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.