3 kids die when car attempts a U-turn on I-80

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by LoboSolo, May 6, 2019.

1. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Crossing the median on interstate is ILLEGAL...so what he did was not only stupid..but illegal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    Now that is acceptable and all. I'm simply saying to do it out of convenience and then pull out in front of interstate traffic is not the way to make a u turn.

Cattleman84 and allniter Thank this.
  4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    He never crossed the interstate. He slowed down in the granny lane and then cut across in front of a truck going the same direction.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Yea, but he was trying to cross the interstate, just got hit before he could get to the median.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We have never. Ever.

There is always for the most part the next exit.

The last time they closed the interstate was along I40 for about a few hundred miles. Guess what the recent rains made sure a healthy number of cars, 4x4 and a few megas got themselves good and stuck up and down that median from westbound trying to turn eastward to avoid traffic stop.

200 miles worth of tow jobs. **KACHING.

At least it's not 200 miles of coffins.

Bud A. and mjd4277 Thank this.
  8. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    In a 4 wheeler,I almost hit a van on I-40 in Arkansas years ago when he pulled onto the right shoulder ahead of me, stopped, then turned left directly into my path then continued across the median and went the other way on the interstate.

I contemplated chasing him down and beating him to death with the tire iron, but I would have had to make an illegal u-turn and I would not want to endanger the general public (and I'm not prone to violence).

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    There are actually legal crossings on interstates. I-40 west of Amarillo has several. They are temporary and have been since the interstate was built. lol

10. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Service vehicles are not authorized to use turn arounds. Found this out after a trooper pulled me over for doing so yellow flashing lights and all. Didn't get a ticket but a stiff warning it was. I'm sure slack is given from state to state in specific situations. It really Is quite dangerous in heavy traffic.

11. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Technically I could not legally turn my service truck around, but they let us slide for years, UNTIL a yellow freight safety man came and spent a few days at the scale watching their trucks come across, I don't know what for.
    There was a turn around a half mile or just a bit more east of the scales I would turn around at, then there was one right at the west end of the scales, used mostly by the dot to go to scales on the other side. The safety man used it twice in 2 days and both times pulled out in front of a big truck, thinking he was going to exit off into the scales, but the east bound were closed. Both days it came very near to being a wreck and the drivers parked on the shoulder and walked across the interstate to the scales to complain.
    One of the troopers came to the shop and told me he had to sit out there and watch the turn around where I always turned around and would have to ticket me for it, so I had to go another 5 miles to an overpass to get to the scales.
    The next day I went out there and one prick type dot came out and ask where I turned around at, I ask why he wanted to know, and he said he was going to give me a ticket if I had used the official turn around, so I told him in that case I went to the overpass. lol

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.