3 Preventable Accidents Within a Year

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mufasaaaa, Dec 16, 2019.

1. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Hitting that Nissan and it being towed from the scene will hurt him the worst. That is considered a DOT recordable accident.

Upinsmoke and TravR1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MagicMan22

MagicMan22 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Maybe consider double shifts at McDonalds or a trainer for CrEngland

Upinsmoke and starmac Thank this.
  4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    If you crack a headlight, something else most likely got tweaked. I have done autobody repair, things that look cosmetic usually have a unseen issue. Besides it is a "big deal". If i want my vehicle scratched, i will scratch it myself. Do not need some accident prone driver to do it. I realize he isn't causing a catastrophe...yet, tell that to whomever insures him. They will answer in cost.

Upinsmoke and RedRover Thank this.
  5. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have not seen many, actua;lly none that I recall where a truck backed into a headlight, and especially pulled out and just damaged a headlught when turning, that didn't do more than just a scratched headlight. I would say that would be some close contact there.
    That said, it may not be an issue with many, but if someone breaks my headlight, I am very going to be an A-hole. I have had them hit my trailer, and even mirrors, but headlight, they are way off when hey get there.

stillwurkin and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    That was a funny video.

The other day another driver was trying to get out with an empty and could not clear it.
    Everything he tried scraped the trailers because it was very tight.

I pulled right next to him to get my empty as I was seeing this.
    As I had a bit of space on the right side I was able to get my trailer over enough to allow him to get out.
    The back of his trailer only missed me by a few inches. I could not get out before he did.

But in that kind of situation I would have found a different empty, or just bobtailed out to let the planners find me a new trailer somewhere else. This guy would have been stuck if I didn't have the room to give him more room.

stillwurkin and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    First, thank you for using the CORRECT term. From a risk management perspective it is not so much the accident, but the cost of and how it affects the risk an insurance underwriter will assume. For example, take a driver that has 10 years of safe driving with ZERO accidents on their record. They get involved and are considered at fault in such an accident. If they are for some reason later looking for work that accident will not cause them much trouble with the average mega. However, someone that operates a small fleet like @Ridgeline might have a problem hiring this driver because of this accident. Most insurance companies even the ones that work with self underwriting carrier's will report claim payouts to the CLUE database. It's because of the risk you present. In the case of 3 or more accidents/incidents, the driver's ability to get hired suffers from the whole as an aggregate, not just because an accident is recordable. All a recordable really means is a carrier has to record the said accident in a manner mandated by the FMCSA and made available during a safety audit by either the FMCSA or a state. I know my reply sounds ticky tak and I am sorry about that. This is all about those dang Actuarial Tables insurance companies live by. The more you cost them the less they are willing to cover you. In fact, in most cases, this is why most carriers are forced to self underwrite. If they did not I would say maybe as many as 30% of all the drivers currently driving would be almost uninsurable and would have to park!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    stillwurkin, Upinsmoke and bigkev1115 Thank this.
  9. Fredterbert6666

Fredterbert6666 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2019
    is hitting a pole or mailbox considered a preventable accident or does that mean hitting a car/crashing?

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  10. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Did anyone see it? Did you call safety and tell on yourself?

Then no.

Upinsmoke and Fredterbert6666 Thank this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Hitting a fixed object is considered a preventable accident/incident. Especially if a complaint is lodged against you and money is paid out. With all the security camera's in use today, added to the real fact almost everybody totes a camera I don't recommend keeping this from your company!

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.