3 Questions: Military To Trucking

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Admin, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Go talk to your transportation manager on base. Let him or her know your goals , should be able let active duty military sit in class. That way you can walk into Dmv with current Government Class A. And it freeeeeeeee.

Admin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Part two. Have company come to visit troops on base. While they are in Taps class. Have company contact Fleet and family services to be part of military separating from active duty. Then show up with a truck and let the troops check it out. Hard to look at truck on YouTube. The troops are used to 30 days paid vacation a year. Trucking company can only afford 1 week paid vacation after one year. Give me a break. But can afford to hire 20 new drivers every Monday...?..

Admin Thanks this.
  4. Birdman803

Birdman803 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    I can add something to this when I get off work today.

5. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Millis takes $1500 off the cost of their schooling for anyone with a DD214. Instead of costing $2500 it's only $1000 and they take $20 a week out of your check to pay it off

6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    USPS is the largest employer of military vets and they get priority over civilian applicants when positions are availabe.

If you drove in the military, your years of service counts as experience if you wanted to drive for the Postal Service, whereas civilians need 1 year experience in order to be qualified. Not to mention you would be working for the government again.

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's been awhile since I got out but I was 20 years Navy and went into driving.
    #1. I was mostly concerned that I would fit in. I didn't want my military experience to cloud my commercial experience. I had a few years driving part time while I was in the Navy, I also had a job that required me to drive commercial trucks. U.S. Navy Seabees Equipment Operator. So stopping rumors or just false accusations was tough.

After awhile on the job I found out that there were a few driver's that did not believe that I should have the retirement benefits that I did have. They figured that I was doing the same job as them and I should get paid the same. It's hard to believe that people will feel this way but some do. So you've got to watch for that. Then the simple fact that I was used to a disciplined work place caused a few problems for me. I was working hauling gasoline locally so we all saw each other throughout the day. OTR driving you wouldn't have this and you'd be on your way. It does create a good work relation with the higher ups and they may show some favoritism so again you have to watch that.

I'm sorry I can not help with getting funding for school because I went right from the navy to the job.

Admin and Old school 362 Thank this.
  8. Birdman803

Birdman803 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    I am still in the process of transitioning out of the military after 20 years of service. I was introduced to trucking through the Soldier for Life (SFL) Program. It's a series of briefings we have to attend before we leave the military. U learned about the Troops to Transportation program in one of these briefings and I was able to get the ball rolling from there. The program provided everything I needed in order to begin my new career. The paperwork process was simple and all my benefits were applied as I was able to attend CDL School in March. I'm on track to join up with Superior Carriers around November time frame when I exit the Army.
    I was also able to use the Military Waiver in order to obtain my CDL. I actually went to school already having my CDL and it made it easier to concentrate and focus.

Admin Thanks this.
  9. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Sounds like you're taking full advantage of their program to advance your career. The only drawback I saw was the requirement that you drive for 2 years in a truck that is comparable to CMV's. Most military assignments that I've seen after 20 years do not have a driver that is assigned to a truck that meets those requirements. But then again I have seen companies that do not know the difference between a tactical vehicle and a commercial vehicle. That's where you can get lucky.

This is a great program that helps the military driver that has done all the right things and can use his experience to build a carrier. Just be extremely careful on who knows what you have done. There are some drivers that feel they have been shortchanged and will try to make your life miserable. Good luck.

Old school 362 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.