3 State AGs threaten to sue FedEx over contractors

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by rookietrucker, Oct 20, 2009.

1. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    3 State AGs threaten to sue FedEx over contractors

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chromewheelz

chromewheelz Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I'm no legal guru by any meansbut to me this is just plain BS as well as all the other law suits FedEx has endured. It would be the equivilant of trucks going out and suing Landstar,Mercer CH Rboinson ,JCT etc etc and all the other o/o,l/o companies.

1. Lets face it FedEX Ground is running the basic same busines model as some of these companies, only they have more direct control over the freight avaiable ie its steady same route everyday ( for the most part).

2. The people who are contracted to FedEx Ground KNEW what they were getting hired to do on th
    e front end, knew they wouldnt have benifits, nkew they were going to be "contractors" and not employees. so why ##### about. You knew it, if you dont like it then quit!!

3. I know that some people own the routes and then others work for those who own the routes. Thos who own the routes had to sign contract and agreements ( go back to #2 and shut up and like it or once again quit) those who work for the ones who own the contracts you dont have a right to sue FedEx, YOU DONT WORK FOR THEM, you work for billy bob who owns the route...sue him.

4. This is really what America has gotten to. People are just too lazy to go out and look for a new better paying better benifits job so why not sue someone else. FedEx is just being targeted in my opinion b/c they have money and people know with a little persistance they can get some $$ SAD but true.

5. If some of these people are upset b/c they arent getting benifits etc etc ill do your job and drive your route, alot of these route make BANK! if managed right. ill be more than happy to take them.

Im sure many other will post as well. I'd love ot hear others ideas and opinion reguarding this.

Thanks have agreat evening and be safe!!

4. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091020/us_nm/us_fedex_lawsuit

here's a little different version of the story. sounds like what fedex is doing is almost identical to the fleece/option scam that so many trucking companies try to pull. trying to classify an employee as an "independent contractor" is a tax evasion scam that has been happening for decades, and most definitely NOT just in trucking. just because an employee is willing to go along with the scam, that does NOT mean that the employer is not responsible for obeying the law. if my boss offered to work me 100 hours a week for straight pay (no overtime,) if I agreed to give him a blowjob, does that mean that it's OK? I agreed to it, right? I signed a contract.... I can't complain later!

hopefully when they're through with fedex, they'll move on to the other companies that have been breaking the law. by the way, it doesn't say anything about fedex being sued by their employees ("contractors,") they're being sued by attornies general of individual states. and as far as not having a right to sue - what kind of nonsense is that? of course you always have a right to sue, you just don't have a right to win!

Walter T Thanks this.
  5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    I can't wait for FX as a whole to just drop all the contractors altogether. Won't hurt my feelings any. :biggrin_25512:

6. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    "The states said this occurs though FedEx subjects the drivers to strict work rules, down to the colors of their socks, and to thousands of dollars of expenses to buy or lease trucks and use company uniforms and scanners."

they are NOT contractors, they're employees illegally classified as contractors. that's why they're being sued.

MNdriver Thanks this.
  7. chromewheelz

chromewheelz Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Memphis, TN

I totally agree. You cant spefiy what exactly a contractor has to wear only that they appear neat and groomed nor can they require a uniform, requiring that w/o specific compensation (such as uniform allowance) doe smake them an employee.

8. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    I'm assuming from what was in the news post that fedex was "selling" or "leasing" a truck to the driver. they're probably looking at this aspect of the relationship more than the other stuff. hopefully they'll take a look at other trucking companies that do these fleece/option scams as a way to misclassify employees as contractors and evade tax. there is no shortage of tales on here of how these companies have financially ruined the folks who didn't know any better than to get involved with this scam.

9. muabbor

muabbor Bobtail Member

May 20, 2009
    Mpls Minn
    Whats all the fuss about? Has anyone noticed the unemployment stats lately? We got a #### good thing going here and some folk want to ##### about it? COME ON!!
    FedEx does right for their folks - contractors or drivers - if you got a bad contractor to drive for, go try to get a job flipping burgers at McD's and quit whining about your lack of bennies here.

10. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Your attitude is why the state of trucking is the way it is.

I have a question for you? If you have a contract with your employer that states you will be paid for all time clocked in at work. Once you start work (0800 to 1600), you find you must show up 10 mins early for a briefing and stay 5 mins late everyday. The end of the week comes pay day, you find that you are not for that 15 mins each day. Will you just give them 1.5 hours of your time every week?

Mark

11. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN

What the heck does that have to do with federal labor laws?

I have been in the BS game of "subcontractor" as a flooring installer. The retailer sets the rate, tells you when to be there, won't pay you for extras that the sales person missed etc.

Many installers don't pay their taxes and the IRS comes in and sees they only have reportable income from one source. Guess what? They take the money from the retailer.

Same basic scam the trucking companies are pulling with the flease.

Too many people open up their mouth without knowing the laws on this subject.

I know what it is like to work without benefits, be treated like an employee yet have to provide my tools, supplies, fuel, vehicle, workers comp, liability etc and those ######## set the rate!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.