30+lbs to lose in 60 days while driving team

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by steverino, Jan 6, 2019.

1. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Losing weight quickly is a good way to ensure that every pound plus some comes back. Every one of these 'quick fix' diets is destined to fail.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Excercise three times a day for 15 minutes at a time. Wake up? 15 minutes. 30? 15 minutes. Going to sleep? 15 minutes.

Adds up to 45 minutes a day of exercise. If your co driver has a problem with 15 minutes at the beginning and end of your shift, tell them to go take a dump or something and you'll be ready when they're done.

4. dommac

dommac Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Have you considered seeking advice on a forum dedicated to fitness? I'd recommend the meso-rx forum, I've been an active member for years and have absorbed gobs of great fitness and bodybuilding advice.

5. steverino

steverino Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Well...... I failed miserably. I didn't lose 30lbs nor did I even manage to give if a good go at it like I should have. Yeah, I got lots of excuses, but the fact is that I wasn't prepared, especially in my head. I wasn't ready to adapt. I still just wanted to go into the truck stop, walk into the Arby's or Burger King, and grab me a burger or sandwich that killed whatever progress I made. Or, sometimes I'd go really crazy and just grab a doughnut or pastry (or 2, 3... or 5).

Thankfully, I finally got over that hump. I've been working on a new protocol for the last 2 weeks and there's one lesson that I've learned and it might actually be the most important lesson of all: Track your progress!

See, that's the one thing I've never done. Sure, I'd look on the scale, see if I had lost any weight, but I never did anything else to track my progress. Never measured myself, never used a caliper to see if I had lost fat, never did any of those things. And just now, I'm finding out just how much I lost out on.

After finally deciding to give it another go, I went online to buy some fat calipers (skinfold calipers) 1st thing and had them shipped to my company's address. When I got them in a few days later, I immediately checked my fat % (I had used a small ruler and "guess"timated in the meantime and, believe it or not, I wasn't far off). I used the Jackson/Pollock 3 point measuring method to gauge the results.

Anyhow, here's my progress thus far from intermittent fasting, ketogenic dieting, and exercising every day or every other day while fasted:

Day 1: 3/28/19 (used a ruler)
    Weight: 225
    Body fat %: 21.97
    Body fat weight: 49.43 lbs
    Lean Body weight: 175.57 lbs

Today: 4/8/10 (Used a caliper)
    Weight 221
    Body Fat %: 17.49
    Body fat weight: 38.6 lbs
    Lean body weight: 182.4 lbs

So, if I only went by weight, I'd have really be discouraged because I had only lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks. For the effort I put out, that'd be heartbreaking because for all I know, that could've just been water weight that I lost! But as you can see, my progress was much better than that.

Total body fat (or water) lost: 10.83 lbs (odds are I lost a lot of water there too, so...)
    Lean body mass gained (muscle?): 6.83 lbs
    Body Fat percentage change: 4.5%

In other words, the scale didn't tell the whole story. There was a significant improvement in body composition of nearly 18 lbs! Furthermore, I also learned that I didn't have to lose 30 lbs of weight. My goal is about 10% body fat, so all I need to do is lose about 19 lbs of fat instead of 30. I'm already at my preferred lean body weight, I just need to focus on losing the fat.

As a result, I'm now more motivated than ever and my brain is on fire with trying to figure new ways to stay on my diet on the road, eat healthy, and exercise.

A few notes:

1) a lot of this muscle I'm regrowing because I'm a still a lot weaker than I used to be. It's been said that regrowing muscle is a lot easier than growing new muscle, but I have yet to find research confirming that.

2) The calipers I used can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/Sequoia-Fitness-TrimCal-4000-Caliper/dp/B00B2MIDDQ. I got mine from Google express along with a really cool measuring tape found here: https://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-...?keywords=myotape&qid=1554726057&s=hpc&sr=1-1

If you do not want to use a fat caliper, a ruler can work almost as well, but man it's a pain! I don't recommend it unless you have a 2nd pair of eyes which I did not.

6. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Muscle memory is real, but so is fat memory. The difference is that muscle doesn't *want* to be, whereas a fat cell once inflated always wants to be inflated. Losing weight by working out doesn't ever work unless all of the exercise is aerobic.

7. steverino

steverino Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Garlic supplements will kill fat cells though, and nothing that's dead can remember anything.

https://genechanger.com/9-genechanging-things-that-you-can-do-to-starve-fat-cells/

Applying similar conceptual models—laying siege rather than attempting a full-frontal assault—researchers have begun to test whether non-cancer cells can similarly be “de-contextualized.” Using mice treated with anti-angiogenic (blood-vessel blocking) agents, scientists have reported a reduction in vascularization of adipose tissue and the subsequent death of fat cells. So the model seems to be accurate for fat: By indirectly targeting fat cells, through their dependence on blood supply, we can actually “starve” them to death.

8. steverino

steverino Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, it's been another week and I checked myself again. So far so good. I've lost more fat and gained a bit more muscle.

Body weight: 219 (6 lbs lost total)
    Body fat: 16% (approx. 6% decrease)
    Body fat (and water) weight 34.5 (approx 15 lbs lost)
    Lean body weight: 184.5 (9 lbs gained)

If I can keep this up, I'll have a complete body recomposition in about 2 months time.

A couple of notes: I've been taking a few supplements, none of them you can't find at Walmart or GNC, like Creatine Monohydrate (boosts energy production on a cellular level), Iodine and selenium supplements (for testosterone production), and a pretty good natural multivitamin.

9. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    First skip the soda and drink water.
    Than after a few weeks skip the Fries.
    Just burn more calories than you take in.
    OMAD - one meal a day worked well for me .

10. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Check out this app for your tracking. It works with their scales but you can manually input your information as well.

Weight Gurus

steverino Thanks this.
  11. steverino

steverino Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, I had a week off with my family. My wife,who's an awesome cook as well as a beautiful woman, made me homemade spaghetti (except for the pasta), tikka marsala (with real short grained organic rice), some kind of beef stew on steroids that was absolutely delicious, and I also ate at Burger King, plus 2 ice cream places with my little girls. Top that off with candy left over from Easter Sunday; chocolate bunnies, M&Ms, Snickers eggs, etc...

Yep, my diet got blown all to hell.

At no point did I check anything but my weight and after a couple of days of that, I said "forget it" and just kept doing what I was doing. I think I only exercised one time and after that it was playing with the kids, swimming at the nearest aquatic center a couple times with the kids, chasing the kids, pushing them while running around the yard in their little orange push cart thingy, etc... basically the kids wore me plum out.

And that's on top of all the house work I had to get caught up on. Changing fluids in the cars, putting a walkway in the attic, changing the ballast on an old fluorescent light, building a brick border around a small garden, etc...

The only part of my diet I really held onto was the intermittent fasting where I would still fast for 16 hours before I ate anything, even if it was crap (I mostly stuck to bacon and eggs for breakfast).

So I get back on the road for a week and I go back on my diet. I have no delusions that I likely gained quite a few pounds and that I have some making up to do. After a week of fasting, dieting, getting back to exercise, I finally get to see my progress. I put myself on the scale and I weighed 224 lbs. That's 5 lbs more than when I left for home.

Well, crap!

Then I check myself this morning with the fat caliper: Body fat % is: 14.85, only slightly lower than the 15.74% when I left for home. The 5 lbs I gained was all muscle! Holy crap!

I'm quite literally shocked at the results. You'd think that after going off my diet and putting on lbs, that I'd be gaining fat, but it was totally backwards! The only thing that I can think of is that all that extra exercise with the kids and working around the house, plus the boost of testosterone I've been getting from my regimen, plus the fact that I stuck with intermittent fasting during the whole thing which also helped boost healthy growth hormones, helped me build muscle while I was eating all those extra calories.

Also this is another testament to using a fat caliper instead of relying solely on a scale. Had I just used a scale, I'd of thought I'd gained back those 5 lbs rather than lost fat and really been depressed about it rather than overjoyed at my progress. Track your progress!

Well, that's it for now. I'll post again next weekend or so and let you know the results of another week on this regimen.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.