34 hours = The Law or Optional ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jumpman, May 17, 2021.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Even if you use up your 70, or close to it, you can chose to run recaps and not have to do a 34. Running recaps means you can drive/work whatever hours you drove/worked 8 days ago. Some drivers prefer driving/working 8.75 each day than running out your 70 and then getting stuck at some random truck stop for almost 2 days.

All of te options sound very confusing before you start working. It gets much clearer very quickly once you start.

lovesthedrive and Jumpman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    9 days ago

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    It takes more than 5 minutes to do a proper PTI. Sure the "short" one can be 5 min. But the full one is for sure longer.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  5. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I like the way you are doing that. I run mostly on recaps, but am quite haphazard about hours. I just run as many as I need to maximize miles during the beginning days of the trip, then have a low hour day at the tail. In effect, I'm getting days with low hours in my recaps. But for the most part it works well this way. Typically the planners give me trips that account for hours I have available, and they do a good job. I stay on recaps and use all my hours typically. But I might try your approach and see if I like it.

6. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Yep, I go months without a 34 at times.

7. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    You do you...... I'll do me. An extra 10 or 15 minutes off of my 14 doesn't affect my day or paycheck a bit. I prefer to know my equipment is in good working order daily. BTW.....I stick my steer tires EVERY MORNING. Those are pretty important to me and the motoring public. I think it takes about 10 seconds to do both. I'm also the only guy you hear doing an airbrake test at midnight before I roll out of the truckstop to start my day.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  8. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    My DM and the load planners have learned to watch my clock and plan me accordingly. I always send my DM a QC message the day before my delivery with an ETA/PTA. I will always add.......starting recaps in 2 days...watch my clock for next pre plan. Or..... Need to take a 34 after this load delivers. Find me a load with an extra day or two. Trust me, they appreciate the heads up. There are 20 or 30 other drivers on their board they have to babysit. I save them the time and effort of doing the math on my clock. I rarely wait for a pre plan. Usually have one the day before. I have also learned to give an update in on Friday morning. We all know what night and weekend dispatch can turn into.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  9. Jumpman

Jumpman Light Load Member

May 13, 2021
    The 8.75 hours per day seems to be a better choice provided it works for the trucking company.

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    My own feeling is that the 34 hour reset, which is the 10 plus a full day off, makes it easier for enforcement, since they only have to count the hours worked since a reset, instead of doing the recaps.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.