3406b cat question?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by flc120, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    if it's a wrist pin or spun bearing the oil pressure gauge needle should vibrate when running. sounds like the other posters said a bad fuel nozzle. they are easy to change on the b's.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )

iIs the oil pressure needle shaking on all apllications/vehicles i ve had several spun bearings on auto engines and never noitced the needle shaking or fluttering when there spun. Is this only on diesel engines?

also wheres the fuel nozzle located in the injections pump?

4. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012

so smokincat could it be a bad nozzle or internal noise? i can tell you that the noise above 1300 rpms with no fan clutch on isnt audible but as soon as it drops below that the noise becomes apparent more of a CLACK CLACK sound.

and on the mechinical noises usually dont go away with rpm's i know that holds true on alot of automobile engines i work on, usually if the noise is there nothings going to make it go away except a rebuild.

5. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    so what can the poll be on it maybe being a fuel nozzle?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    If you scorched the hole you will need to replace the injector nozzle anyway as it is #1 cause so you will need one either way.

7. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    if i was to attempt a teardown i know i will be able to do it by myself as almost anyone can take anything apart. are there any components on the front cover that have to come off (timing gear) in order to pull head off? can i pull it apart uptop and worry about setting it on time later? it looks like a job i can do hopegully its just changing out one piston pack if anything maybe getting head sent to get checked.

i really need to save me some bucks if i want to get this as my second truck running. i might just save some of the lute for the rebuild kit and only repair what i need as this will be a mostly closed yard type local truck. i really want to get her working and i know i can take her apart, she shouldnt need to be re bearinged and the head looked freshly new as if it was sandblasted stripped bare metal and isnt completly rusted like if its been on for a while almost looks recent, i can tell you under the valve covers is very clean no soot or build up or rust stains. mayne i can get away with changing just one pack to get this old CAT running right again.

would i be able to get a little help if need be thru pics,texts and even video to try to diagnose and reasemble this old fart after i take it apart, i know its alot to ask but timing and valve adjustments will probably be my largest task, afterall i do have some sort of mechnical knowledge but by far no TECH.

8. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Go for it, there's a whole bunch of helpful folks around here! You won't be into the front cover and timing issues on this one.

flc120 Thanks this.
  9. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    i figured it wasnt like the newer 3406E's and C engines as they are overhead cam. i know theres not much but the timing gear on those.

im really fiending to do this and since its a classic chassic with the long hood i can work on it comfortably unlike working under the hood of l9000 or something.

im guessing best deal would be to disassemble top end and keep parts on some sort of flat plywood sheet 4'x8' and lay out parts in order pertenant to location of motor, since this isnt an old school big cam cummins which will let me work individual cylinders somewhat which ive done a couple jobs like that myself but once again with the reassembly included help. Ive changed rocker arms on them as well.

to disasemble top end just loosen and layout accordingly then?

10. lowjo

lowjo Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2009
    arkansas
    Might have to pull the cams,check to make sure they're not knicked,check the rocker arms also and the bearings.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.