3406b cruise control

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Coolbreezin, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    Hey all. I have a 1991 379 with a 3406b engine. I have factory cruise control that doesnt work. I tested the wires up to the switches and all was fine. I understand that cruise controls have switches on the pedals to turn the cruise off. Not sure what to look for or where it would be. I need some guidance as to where I should look next. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I used to have an 89 T 600 (with a B model) that had cruise control, but it has been so long that I cannot remember all the components. I do know that it had a box behind/under the drivers seat that would click as it adjusted the throttle position. This box had a cable that attached to the rod going from the foot pedal linkage to the injection pump, right under where the driver's feet would be. It might be worth checking that to make sure it is attached. Additionally there would have been a clutch pedal switch, but I don't remember if they used the jake switch on the back of the pump, or if they had a separate switch. Obviously there is an interface with the speed sender on the back of the transmission, but I don't remember where it was tied in.

Here is a link to King cruise control, which may have been the OEM provider. This link should take you directly to the diagnostic section that they have. Perhaps this will help in diagnosing the problem.

Good luck.

spsauerland and bumper Jack Thank this.
  4. RMD FREIGHT

RMD FREIGHT Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have a 90 Kenworth with a 3406b model and I would really like to add cruise control to it. Who makes a kit and can install it? Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Is it a PEEC or true mechanical?

6. RMD FREIGHT

RMD FREIGHT Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi, true mechanical

7. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.