3406B high egt.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by WMGUY, May 20, 2023.

1. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    Hey all, looking for advice on the next steps in keeping my egts under control. 8TC that's been converted to mechanical. Replaced cac and fixed two other boost leaks. Muffler was plugged, replaced with straight pipe. Turbo appears to be stock. Makes 30 psi at full tilt. Can't keep it there more than a few seconds. Very little smoke. Runs 800-850 on the level gets to 950-1000 quickly.

Bought the truck this way. Trying to get everything sorted

Oxbow and wore out Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Fix any exhaust leaks between turbo and head no matter how minor. I also realize you’re making 30 psi but I have seen many chewed up exducer wheels make full psi. They just build sorta laggy. Compressor wheel will do the same. Double check never assume.

Have you checked the timing as in pin timed it. Do not advance it till you know exactly what you have. Then you can usually squeeze about a quarter hole on the flywheel out of it.

Also just cause check the air filter. If the AFRC set screw behind the 2 bolt cover that the line goes into on back of pump is backed out a touch it won’t smoke even if someone took the fuel and torque screw out of it. I am inclined to believe air delivery if it gets hot that fast

WMGUY and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    No exhaust leaks. Both turbo wheels look good no bent fins or sanding effect. Replaced air filter. Builds boost fast.

Checked pin timing. Pump was retarded about an 1/8th of a hole. I pinned both flywheel and pump and then slightly advanced approximately 1/4 hole on the flywheel.

Truck is building over 30 probably closer to 33-35 lbs of boost now. I have a good 10% grade close to the house 2.5 miles long. Was able to keep it to the floor this time. 7th over at 1700 rpm. The Pyro hit 950 as I crested the top.

I have a feeling I'm pushing the stock turbo out of its performance range? I'm going to turn the screws in a 2-3 turns and run it this week and see what I get.

I appreciate your help.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.