3406B hopping/starving for fuel

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PSM379, Nov 27, 2021.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    There is a #5 o ring boss plug on the filter base. Check your pressure there. 42 at idle should never go below 30-32 though they usually won’t miss till below 20.

just a thought since it’s done it from overhaul and pump was done at overhaul if I’m remembering correctly, check the bonnet nuts on top of pump. I almost bet you have one loose. They can be loose and not leak. 1/2 drive torque wrench to 110ftlbs will tell the tale. If you have the spline socket

cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. E model Cat man

E model Cat man Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Northern Maine
    Actually the torque spec on the hold down bushings when working with used barrel and plunger with either used or new bonnets is 200-220ftlbs as apposed to 180 on all new barrel and plunger...back mark the bushing relative to the pump body, back of a tiny bit, torque to 200, back off a touch, then take it down to 220. then just for refrence check your marks to see how much you went. The back off and stuff is to prevent false breakaway torque you'll get if you try just going down from where they have been since last guy had it apart. I reccomend getting a systems testing and adjusting manual for any b or c model and reading it cover to cover and buy the splined tool for the holdown bushings, get 6 new updated bonnets #108-2104 (make sure and verify the #) get 6 nea orings, get a tube of valve lapping abrasive compound and a piece of hard machined 1/4" or thicker steel plate or w thick piece of glass and remove barrels and plungers and lap them all. With the new bonnets vergine sealing sorfaces and the freshly lapped faces with the 200-220 spec it will amaze you kow smooth it will run, also reccomend checking timing atleast statically and make sure all weights, eclips, thrust washers,nmake sure e clip grove in spool is not worn. Etc. Then if this all looks good removev

PSM379, Oxbow and wore out Thank this.
  4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    210 is what I intended to say I guess I fat fingered that. Still no excuse for not catching it

E model Cat man and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. E model Cat man

E model Cat man Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Northern Maine
    Could also be injector nozzle pop off chatter...that can be inconsistent.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Hopefully @PSM379 will update us when he figures it out.

lwlevens Thanks this.
  7. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will definelty update if I figure it out.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Sally21045

Sally21045 Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Did you figure it out?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.