3406b turbo upgrade???

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 704mover, Mar 8, 2018.

1. 704mover

704mover Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Hopefully boost will improve under load. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 704mover

Mar 8, 2018
    Got in early today and opened up the AFRC on the Cat. I loosened the jam nut and run in the plunger shaft screw. Man, totally different truck! It finally has the quick throttle response that I'm accustomed to driving Cummins for years. It gave me back a little of the black smoke that I had lost when I upgraded turbos. But not enough to bother me. Should I even mess with the fuel/torque screws? That turbo sure whistles Dixie now!

4. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Back the plunger shaft screw back out a turn or so, play around until you get rid of the smoke, but keep the "smile" mode.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    If you were getting 27 pounds of boost before I bet your fuel screws we're already adjusted.

6. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    If you had 27 Ibs. before then you should see a very similar number with the 177148. Even if you see a little less I wouldn’t get too caught up in the number just go off the engine response and pulling power. You should be pretty happy with that turbo it has much better response then the other you had on there. You can tinker with the AFRC valve and the fuel/torque screws in the pump, just do both screws equally in the pump. If your satisfied with how it’s running I wouldn’t play around in the pump I would just fine tune AFRC valve. Nice dark puff of smoke when on the throttle, no need to be streaming smoke down the highway. Just a good puff then clear up, that’s when they run the strongest.

spsauerland, 704mover and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    They should smoke a nice little cloud when you hit the throttle.

704mover and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I would run it a round or 2 for sure. As posted don't get hung up on the boost number, the mph at the top of a familiar grade is what counts.

9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Especially considering it is a wastegate turbo.

spsauerland, SAR and wore out Thank this.
  10. 704mover

Mar 8, 2018
    Hauled out some equipment with the flatbed trailer earlier. Talk about a difference! Wow! I might back my fuel screws out a round first of the week. Just for the hell of it, to see. Boost # might be less but over all power is unbelievable.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    So, a thing about boost........and I cannot talk the numbers because of my lack of experience wrenching so please correct me if I'm wrong fellas, but I believe that several other things need to be taken into account.

More boost pressure produces more heat, which makes the intake air less dense. At some point I believe too much boost provides less power.
    Boost pressure versus drive pressure needs to be taken into account as well. Suppose you are getting 45 lbs of boost, but you have 20 pounds of exhaust pressure. Does that mean that your net boost is 25 lbs? And suppose you have 30 lbs of boost but only 5 lbs of back pressure. Would that also net 25 lbs of boost, but actually provide more horsepower because the intake air temperature is cooler due to less heat during compression?

I don't know the answers, but I suspect that the truth is that more boost doesn't necessarily equate to more power, at least beyond a certain point.

@wore out said it best; you may have a bit less boost, but if you get to the top of the hill sooner then you have answered the question.

Forgive me for babbling on about this as it is nothing more than a theory in my mind, and please correct me if I'm all wrong.

SAR, 704mover, wore out and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.