3406b turbo upgrade???

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 704mover, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Boost pressure is a measure of intake manifold pressure. Exhaust manifold pressure, or back pressure, referred to as drive pressure, is irrelevant to boost, although you want them as close as possible. 30psi boost is 30psi boost regardless of drive pressure.
    Compressing air heats it up, that's why we use intercoolers.
    Turbos are designed to operate inside a certain set of parameters, known as the turbo map, matched to the motors expected rpms, fuel input, power expectations, etc.
    When we modify any of those parameters, the turbo is no longer optimal, becomes inefficient, usually spinning faster than intended, which makes it heat the air more than is acceptable.
    That's making it as simple as possible, because turbo maps are kind of like witchcraft!:p

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wyoming379

Wyoming379 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Boost is a measurement of restriction. Like mentioned comparing boost numbers from one turbo to the next is irrelevent. Making more power with less boost simply means your getting things more efficiant. Turbos move air by mass. You build heat from a turbo trying to cram more air than than the engine can flow or to much fuel with out enough air. If your still a little smokey you can try and put a restriction in the hose from from wastegate to compressor. Best way is to remove fitting and drill and tap for a small long set screw. Turn screw in to turn up boost. You're basically making it have to suck longer to open actuator. Adjusting the rod will do nothing but potentially allow gate pucks to crack open.
    Good info around here. I'm putting together a b and c model. Have learned alot.
    Ps sorry for resurecting an old thread.

4. 894964f

894964f Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Kansas City
    Looking for some help on matching a 177148 to my 4mg38299. Its in a 1989 western star 4964F.
    Anyone know the appropriate supply/return oil lines I can get to finish the install of this turbo?
    I don't want to splice into it with flexible line if posssible?
    Turbo is mounted up and ready to go just need the oil lines...thanks

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Reason for edit: clarification
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I believe that the easiest way is to get a return line off of an E model.

I ended up changing how the wastegate dashpot (or whatever it is called, the thing that pushes the wastegate rod) is mounted; just built a bracket out of angle iron that moved it out away from the oil line a bit.

SAR Thanks this.
  6. 894964f

Sep 2, 2014
    Kansas City
    Would you know of a engine serial # for a e model I could use?...parts guys are not much help in that regard. I tried a 133-8940 and a 199-3212 without success...thought I read those would work.
    I hate to fab up a new bracket as Im not much of a fabricator, lol.

7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Yours is a mid mounted turbo by serial #. E model lines for mid mount is 199-3211 supply and 137-5636 drain. No guarantees...

pushbroom, Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  8. 894964f

Sep 2, 2014
    Kansas City
    Thank you very much. will get to Cat today and try those part numbers.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. 894964f

Sep 2, 2014
    Kansas City
    Just got 199-3211 and 137-5636 in from Cat. They had to order the in from another store...the supply tube is closer to fitting, maybe 2" short and clocked off a little bit. The return line is not close at all.
    Any other part numbers I can try? I would like to have a clean install and dont want to fab...as I stated earlier, I am not much help in that regard.
    Thanks again. Wanted to get the ol girl ready this week...

10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Interesting. On mine the original supply tube fit perfectly, and I thought E model drain tubes had a flexible hose portion to them.
    I apologize for dispensing mis-information.

Both of mine are 4MGs as well.

SAR Thanks this.
  11. 894964f

Sep 2, 2014
    Kansas City
    No worries. It was worth a shot...the supply line is the one with the flexible hose portion correct? It is tightened with a fastener and the return is solid steel with oring seal at engine block, correct?
    U have pics of yours oxbow?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.