3406E Corrosion Jake Housing

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Jordonh, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Jordonh

Jordonh Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2022
    North Carolina
    Good morning ya’ll.

As owning the truck for a few months I decided to open her up to see what we’re dealing with underneath the valve covers. Long story short, I was not happy what was inside seen some corrosion on Jake Housing, some marks/scored on the Rocker Arms/cam ects. This is most likely caused from the previous owner having the rig sit for a year and half before I got it so condensation got In.

Lookin to see if I should be worried more about the corrosion Jakes flaking off onto the parts?

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    That truck must of been sitting in a really wet environment to do that. Thats pretty gritty. Looks more like coolant was getting in oil before it was shutdown and parked. Or oil changes didn’t happen much. What does the oil look like when drained. Water? Different colors at different levels?. Are those pitted spots feel able with a finger nail? If so they will just gall out worse once the engine gets running again. If not you may be able to polish them out with some emory and a little valve lapping compound and get some more miles out of it.

Oxbow and Jordonh Thank this.
  4. Jordonh

Jordonh Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2022
    North Carolina
    The truck was actually sitting in a wet environment when I picked it up. Previous owner had it near a forest in the back of his house and Delaware gets a lot of rain so that can most likely be the cause.

Had it’s first oil/coolant change in September, coolant looked like brown water and smelled like coffee. Oil didn’t look like water just your normal color which i’m surprised, gotta do another oil change since I’m over my interval at the moment and will let u know.

Yes the little circle marks pitted on the Rocker Arms your able to feel them a little bit with your fingernail not the scored ones though.

5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If you think the pitting isn’t too bad and you lack the funds to tear into it. I’d just try to clean it up the best you can and run it. Change the oil a few more times rather quickly to help flush it out. Are you planning on this truck being a full time or part time employee? If only using it here and there it may last you another 10-20 years. I’ve seen some pretty nasty looking old engines that were just cleaned up a little bit and still run good when they are asked too. You just never know.

Jordonh Thanks this.
  6. Jordonh

Jordonh Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2022
    North Carolina
    @SmallPackage I'll try to do the best I can, I’m actually ‘restoring’ my engine/truck little by little I know everything is old and it’s getting new parts put into it as I’m building up my funds. This is definitely a full time truck runs locally so less wear and tear on her. I’ll definitely take your word on that, only had one oil change ever since I owned it for the past month, so that’ll definitely help. Thanks boss man for the help!!

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.