3406E Tu-flo 550 coolant flow reroute

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by WyoVac, Mar 12, 2017.

1. WyoVac

WyoVac Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Has anyone rerouted the coolant flow from the original position on the block to the rear of the block for a cooler #6? IMG_0834.JPG tried to take a pic of the possible location ( this is at rear of engine).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    There is no coolant available at the flywheel housing. Also you should replace the missing bolt & check if the other 3/8 bolts are loose.

WyoVac Thanks this.
  4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    There a plug in the coolant rail at the rear of block on passenger side ( only if your oil cooler neck attaches in the center of block) don't waste your time running it from compresser. Run it from the oil cooler neck to the plug.

WyoVac Thanks this.
  5. WyoVac

WyoVac Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Good eye pup, thanks for your reply. I'll check all the bolts, torque also when I'm back there.
    Hey super hauler, this is a 5EK and yes, the coolant neck attaches in the middle. Seems like pushing coolant to the plug location at the rear of head could help temps back there some.

Attached Files:

6. WyoVac

WyoVac Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    I have a question in regards to camshaft end play. I've had a reputable machine shop recondition my 5EK head. New cam bearings were installed. I ordered a reconditioned camshaft p/n 187-9381. As the cam sits in head, I can freely turn it. I'm trying to install the cam gear. After installing o-ring plate, camshaft adapter piece,then the thrust plate, I cannot turn the cam freely. I noticed after bolting the cam gear on and begin to torque it, it seems to have a lot of drag. Is camshaft endplay possible? Is it normal for this drag or difficulty to turn?

7. Superhauler

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    No, it should turn freely, make sure you put the adapter and thrust washer in correctly.

8. WyoVac

WyoVac Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    I'm certain the adapter is in the right direction. The thrust plate has oil grooves on both sides and I marked the face before removing. I can see rubbing on the face of adapter and the thrust plate, like no axial endplay. I'll double check things tomorrow. Thanks for your replies.

9. WyoVac

WyoVac Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Could the camshaft bearing be installed incorrectly? The machine shop head builder did install the cam bearings. I noticed the first bearing in the front wasn't set correctly at the 20 degree angle or whatever. So I mentioned that and the response I got was that the bearing has an outer oil ring groove all the way around. So the oil feeds that journal wherever the bearings rotated too? The manual says the depth of the bearings one after the other starts from the middle of the #1 bearing. Does the thrust rub against the cam bearing?

10. Superhauler

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    It shouldnt.

WyoVac Thanks this.
  11. WyoVac

WyoVac Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Okay...update. I found the #1 cam bearing needed to be installed further into the bore. After moving bearing in, installing doweled adapter, & thrust plate everything spun correctly.

SAR and Superhauler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.