35 years old, thinking of becoming a trucker.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by AMJR, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    Wow.
    There is danger in any profession, after over thirty years as a professional driver, I can say it is a lot safer today than it was thirty years ago.
    You could have a Texas Two Step on any given day, forced dispatch, no HOS rules and a "Don't fix it until it breaks" attitude towards maintenance that is still hanging around a bit.
    You could get into five different trucks from the same manufacturer / year and they would all be different. Engines, Transmissions, location of switches on the dash.
    Screaming Jimmies got their name honestly. I never got to drive a "Buzzin Dozen" though, I may have enjoyed that, once. :)
    Big horsepower was the 4 1/4 Cat, (425HP) or the Cummins Big Cam series. (400? HP)
    Maxis were new so a lot of equipment didn't have them, this is why the schools want you to hook up air lines to the trailer before you touch it with the truck. The list go's on.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Macneil Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jess4040

jess4040 Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Wow, that's crazy, sounds like there's not much good out there. That's why I'm afraid to go OTR, I want to stay local and small time jobs, gravel truck and such. I love hearing from you guys, I really appreciate all the input and advice, but you guys scare the crap out of me. I really want a job in this industry, I'm going for my Class 1, but not certain yet what I'm really getting into or what job is best. I'm female and could probably use my charm to make my life easier, but in turn I'm rare in the industry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.