359 Pete - What would you do?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Hogleg, Feb 3, 2017.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    There are a few options you have to keep it on the road.

1. Re-rail the truck, replace all crossmembers. Most expensive.

2. Cut the frame off behind the cab, replace rails from cab back. Sleeve the spliced area. Done correctly no one will be able to tell.

3. Remove the double frame. Sandblast and re-paint rails. Install new 1/4" sleeve from a few feet ahead of the bad area all the way to the back. Replace all the welded crossmembers. Probably the cheapest option. All the holes are already there, just need to punch through the new inner rail and bolt together.

4. Find a complete cutoff with good suspension and diffs, chop the frame off, weld new cutoff in, reinforce the welded area with a new sleeve.

5. Cut your losses and flog the truck as is. I think this is the worst idea because you already know what you have and you'll be buying a new set of problems. I wouldn't waste money and time repairing it if you're going to sell it right away. You will never recoup the costs of frame repair. You're better off to keep running it if you fix it.

Bean Jr. and SAR Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Option 4....that's what I was saying. He said the suspension was shot in original post. I think this would be the cheapest, fastest, easiest, and best option. Plus the upgraded suspension will make it ride a whole lot better. I think he would be the happiest with this option. IMO

4. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You're looking at minimum $4k-$5k for a modern cutoff with good diffs and suspension. Probably about $600 for 2 reinforcing rails. Time wise probably a good 10-15 hours labour to re and re the cutoff and install the reinforcing sleeves. Plus however much time is needed to connect wiring, airlines and things like wheel bearings, brakes, seals etc.

Option 3 is likely more labour intensive but a guy will save a few grand by not buying a cutoff or attaching wiring/hoses etc.

OP, best thing is to weigh your options and see what works best for you. What gets you on the road reliably and safely without emptying your wallet too much.

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    If it's a local daycab I would roll it up to factory. The air leaf suspension brackets are known to wear out. They are cheap and easily replaced. I realize how bad it may look but take a breath and really evaluate the situation. It may not be as bad or bleak as it seems.

If length is that important a cutoff is where I would go next.

6. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My W9 had probably 2 inches of rust jacking between the 2 rails at the lower flange. Pulled the sleeves out and cleaned it up a bit and there was still about 75% of the original thickness left on the main rails. It always looks worse when there's 12lbs of rust flake stuck in there.

noluck Thanks this.
  7. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    I agree with most. Shorten it back up to 205. Suspension can be reworked or find a late model to stick under it and keep trucking.

8. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    i'd fix it. you got this truck to the point that you know whats wrong with it. you re open pandoras box with another used truck.

9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I have used rails from scraped trucks as a second rail. Some are taller than others and having a gap at the bottom does not hurt anything if the crossmembers still fit. Also have had steel shops make 8 foot sleeves to reinforce frames. Crossmembers can be a problem and I have custom made some of them. Shorten it sleeve it run it. Just my opinion.

wore out Thanks this.
  10. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    What will you take for it as it is? PM me. To answer original question. Fix it and drive it. These newer trucks suck.

Hogleg Thanks this.
  11. Hogleg

Hogleg Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Salem, Illinois
    Well, as it would be, @strollinruss was on a trip north and was able to stop by to see the truck. After strolling around the truck (pun intended), and sharing his knowledge of 359's he recommends leaving it at 254 and dealing directly with the jacking issue. Shortening it back up will make it ride a lot rougher. He thought the jacking was not that bad after all. I really needed a experienced set of eyes to see what we have and help me out here. This was a great help.

I am going to leave it long, and see about having the inner rails removed, sand blasted, and new rails installed. That and work on some general cleanup of the wiring and exhaust.

John

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.