359, time for new breathers?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by mile marker 27, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    We all know there is no right or wrong it’s a matter of personal preference I myself have never cared for the steel cans for a number of reasons the chrome hats they look good but their not my style if I was gona hang steel cans on @Deere hunter ‘s would be my choice with those OEM hats
    Me I’ve always run 15” Vortex S/S cans it’s just always been my preference

201, Deere hunter, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Exactly. That is why those are in the barn.

Oxbow and Last Call Thank this.
  4. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    I don’t want anybody to misunderstand I think them cans on @Banker ’s ride look really good And yours are all OEM that’s cool too. I like the hats on yours they certainly have their place and they are rarer then hen’s teeth like mentioned there is no right or wrong

201, Banker and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Those original hats are made strong enough to sit on like a bar stool. Makes it nice when cleaning the windshield or changing an icc marker light bulb on my 351 with a butterfly hood. Can’t stand on a tire and the fender is the only other choice.

6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I totally agree with you about the personal preference. I have seen things others have done that I can appreciate and even like, but may not want. It took me 8 years on this truck to change the cans so I must not have disliked the original look too bad. It took me 4 years to add the Off White Seminole paint scheme. The two pictures are the same tractor with the bottom having a different trailer the day I picked it up at the factory. Having made several changes along the way has changed the look. I held out for years on the bumper, but for reasons I won’t completely elaborate on with MY SAFETY being the number 1 reason. IMG_9122.png IMG_9121.png

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    wore out, 201, Last Call and 2 others Thank this.
  7. mile marker 27

mile marker 27 Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Those are what I need.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Between the headlights, bumper, paint, and cans it looks like a completely different truck, and I like it!

wore out, Last Call and Banker Thank this.
  9. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    It’s been a gradual process over the years. I currently have a visor and some painted window chops to put on next and then I am out of ideas for now. If I retire in a few years I may take the rack off, put a new roof cap and small bunk sleeper, reposition the tanks and other things and really give it a face lift. I know what I’ve got with a glider and hate to part with it. I have seen a few short hood Pete’s that look good with a small bunk, just for looks. Bennetts does some really good looking major modifications. Something along the lines of these rigs. IMG_9143.png IMG_9142.png

Last Call, Oxbow and mile marker 27 Thank this.
  10. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    Some people do… most people don’t realize the painstaking process involved in making a truck ( your own ) I have a couple good friends that completely understand this which is part of the bond of our friendship there’s a lot of little things that one does just to off set it from everybody else it’s a very thought out in depth process that unless someone has extra deep pockets it doesn’t happen overnight That’s the great thing about trucks and their owners if you look and watch and pay attention to details you can create your own master piece I have a lot of respect for people that do that because it’s a challenge to ride that fine line between tasteful and gaudy and it requires a talent and big nadds to not cross that line
    Not going to go into details but I’ve been almost 2 years on a build for myself I have changed directions countless times and probably will yet before it’s finished I do know this it will be the last truck I build
    I will add that I admire your foresight to have a plan for what you want to do with your ride when you call it quits as a car hauler

Oxbow, Banker, wore out and 2 others Thank this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I agree, my '72, 359 had those "garbage can" tops, and they actually serve a useful purpose. The small tops tend to suck in a lot of bugs, and in the winter, "freezy fog" or heavy snow can accumulate, choking the motor. That front lip seems to help prevent that. Today, trucks are pretty generic, like life today, but at one time, it was all about being unique. The real drivers even bought chrome for company trucks,,:rolleyes:

Oxbow, Banker and Last Call Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.