37 years old, too late in life to get Class A CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by titsafun, Apr 30, 2023.

1. titsafun

titsafun Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2023
    I already have a valid DOT med card so that's a plus.

homeskillet and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. titsafun

titsafun Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2023
    Thanks for all the job links I will be taking a look!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    titsafun Thanks this.
  5. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Lol, just up the road from me. Food industry pretty recession proof.
    We are seeing factories with low demand for their product not wanting milk and the successful companies buying every extra drop they can fit in their silos.

6. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Just to update on CertCo. I did something stupid and tried CertCo. What they dont tell you is that your handling every parcel you haul DEPENDING on what the destinations facilities are. In two days the only docks you bump are at CertCo.

100% touch freight and dunnage/returnables having to be hand stacked/loaded. Milk crates, bread trays & pallets.

No thanks. I'm begging for my old job back. Fingers crossed & lesson learned weekends off be darned.

titsafun Thanks this.
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Well unless your so old that its actually dangerous to get behind a wheel, than age is no barrier. I was over 40 when I got my CDL and there was one chap that was over 60 we were all on H2b visa's he eventually got a EB green card, I caught up with him some 8 years later and he was still working for the same company and would of been close to 70 by then.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The average age of semi-truck driver is 56. Even if you were over 60 years old you would still have time to get your CDL, work, and be economically ahead before you retire. As long as you can pass the DOT physical exam, which is pretty easy, you can keep working beyond retirement age.

2Tap Thanks this.
  9. Highwaydrifter61

Highwaydrifter61 Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    Yeah and make sure it's not one of those "Get your CDL in 3 weeks" B.S. You're not going to learn enough in 3 weeks. Shout be a minimum 6-8 weeks. I don't care what anyone says. And don't just learn on an auto, learn to shift at least a fricken 10 spd.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.