3yrs experience in day cab not good enough for landstar

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by danwantstodrive, Apr 4, 2013.

1. danwantstodrive

danwantstodrive Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    connecticut
    I called landstar today because I've been looking into leasing with them but the lady informed me that that you need 1 year over the road experience in a sleeper truck. How is 3yrs driving NYC Long Island and jersey not as good as driving open highway for one year just because I use a daycab!!! That is some bs. Has anyone else heard of this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    Been the policy for many years. Local driving is not comparable to OTR.

4. danwantstodrive

danwantstodrive Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    connecticut
    No offense to any one but I believe you actually gain more experience local driving seeing as how you are backing up multiple times a day and in my case into tight places and also driving tight city streets with 53' trailers compared to driving highway most of the time..

Fatboy42 and Cman301 Thank this.
  5. shepard74

shepard74 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2013
    its not the experience there looking for. they want to know that your ok with the lifestyle of liveing in a truck.

6. Autocar

Apr 28, 2012
    That does not prepare you for 10 plus miles of 6 or more percent grades, that you do not find in the cities. They want all around experience, not just one type.

7. Cman301

Cman301 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Thats bull any driver that has 3 yrs of driving around nyc is more qualified than most otr drivers! now he could probably use some experience driving in the mountains ,but be for real ,if some one can drive nyc & jersey everywhere else is cake!

danwantstodrive Thanks this.
  8. shepard74

shepard74 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Being a local driver of a day cab he's in his bed everynight. How many people try to do this job and find after 1 month that they can'tstand to be away from there families. Or just find they hate being in the truckfor 20+ hr every day. That's what OTR exp is it's not just driving.

9. Cman301

Feb 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Now I can understand getting used to the otr lifestyle, but his driving skills have to be head & shoulders above most otr drivers with same experience

danwantstodrive, mavljc and lv gn Thank this.
  10. Autocar

Apr 28, 2012
    Really? I don't think I'd be real confident of a driver, with only NYC and Jersey experience on Hwy 58 in Oregon, climbing, or coming down the pass, in snow, at night with elk moving around.

drvrtech77 and OtatKen Thank this.
  11. Cman301

Feb 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Well I wouldt be confident of a driver with experience driving down mountain passes & snow dodging moose, driving on the bqe, or cross bronx at 8 am dodging taxis and delivery trucks!

danwantstodrive Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.