3yrs experience in day cab not good enough for landstar

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by danwantstodrive, Apr 4, 2013.

1. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    I remeber when i was full of shot and powder, ready to conquer the world! Now i dont move without researching it first1
    Your showing off, you just looked that reg up! fessup now!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    Actually, an ICC man clued me into the leasing regs, about 1981. Simply amazing what a person can learn from the people that write and enforce the regs.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  4. russellkanning

russellkanning Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Frost, TX
    Yea sometimes it is crazy what the hiring requirements are. I have run into local jobs that want OTR experience.
    If you want to do Landstar they will be here after you have run OTR.

5. hatrik24

hatrik24 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    Its a whole different style of driving. Laws,trip planning etc... as far as city driving doesnt matter if its NYC or Nisku,Alberta
    In the grand scheme of things a city driver is completely different than an experienced long haul driver.not to mention that Landstar has their policies thats why they are the premeir company they are.

Autocar Thanks this.
  6. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    i call BS on not enough experience or well, OTR as you were told. the last time i checked, city driving is 1000 times more dangerous than OTR. and in NYC and long island? the risk of tagging a low clearance bridge is so high there. i say screw landstar. they are missing out.

danwantstodrive Thanks this.
  7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    OTR experience is not about handling the equipment. It's about being able to deal with the lifestyle, think on your feet, and be able to act on your own with limited or no support. City drivers aren't called upon to do much more than slam the doors and put the truck where it needs to be without hitting anything. OTR drivers do that too, but there is much more to the job than what a city driver will experience.

8. Autocar

Apr 28, 2012
    It all boils down to this. The young man is ticked off, because he is disappointed that he is not qualified for a company he had high hopes of leasing to. Well, that's just life. LS will still be here, in the years to come and he can work on his qualifications, in the mean time.
    Don't blame LS, they developed their minimum qualifications many, many years ago and they don't flinch on them. They cannot afford to, the environment is way too competitive. They have way too much to lose, by relaxing their standards.

The best thing he can do is work on his qualifications and become better educated, if he wants to be an Owner/Operator. Work on business knowledge and work on becoming familiar with the regs that effect him. Before you know it, that time requirement will pass and it will be easy sailing, or at least less difficult.

9. danwantstodrive

danwantstodrive Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    connecticut
    so what should I do, I like where I work now and make good money there. My next move after this company was going to be buying my own truck. Where I work now, I have made a very good name for myself, and don't want to just go to another company just because I need to be driving a sleeper. We do OTR at my company and have sleeper trucks, problem is, we go by seniority and while my seniority number is 170 out of 260, most senior guys take the longer runs with the sleepers. It's slow moving up in seniority at my company, which is a good thing in a way. some guys been there for 30-40yrs.

10. danwantstodrive

danwantstodrive Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    connecticut
    I just need to say this... Most guys out of truck driving school, start with an OTR company. Do you think they learn everything or drive every terrain in 6 weeks training. No they don't. They learn as they go. Now I have 3 years in trucking, and as I've stated many times I drive all of north east. Yes I do more driving to Long Island then go to New Jersey for a back haul.

Even tho I work for a food distributer, we also do freight. We have a 3rd party division here and some drivers only do freight. You should see some looks and questions I have had from some drivers or warehouses because they see a food truck rolling up going to pick up concrete products, or steel, and even some hazmat. So really I get what some of you are saying about the fact that its getting used to the living in a truck.

I would actually prefer to stay out in a truck all week because I can get more rest time. By the time I drive home from work and do everything I get 6 hrs sleep, and during the week I don't do anything but go to work then straight home to sleep. Atleast in a sleeper, you can have a tv, fridge, microwave, so after you park at a truckstop, you step back 2 feet and your home for the night and get your full 10hrs break.

I LOVE truck driving and would not mind living in my truck for a week or two or three at a time. Really after doing my research and checking out load boards to see what freight was paying around here, I planned on doing those shorter runs because as I saw it, a 200mile run payed $800 dollars or a 100 mile run for $500 or 300 mile for $1100, and a lot of these pick ups were actually in the town I live in, or the next town over. So I figured even if all I do is pick up and deliver then drive back empty, that still averages to $2.00 a mile, * 6 days a week is $4800 for 2400 miles which 1200 were loaded miles.

11. Autocar

Apr 28, 2012
    Only you can figure out what is best for you. Look around at all your options, then make a plan A, B, C and D. If you don't foresee being able to do something, where you are, look around for something that fits your plans, without hurting yourself. Buying a truck and leasing to your friend is probably not your best idea, as he probably is not prepared, or even willing to go strictly by the regs. Remember, those "Truth In Leasing" regs were written to protect you, as a contractor, not the Carriers.

Read through all the regs and become familiar with them. No need to memorize them, just be familiar and know where to find them. These regs effect everything you do, whether as a company driver, or O/O.

Practice bookkeeping and accounting. This you can do with your personal stuff, you don't need a truck. Just track your personal income and personal expenses. The lessons you learn from doing this, will transfer to actually running your business, when you start it.

Have patience and work your plan. If plan A doesn't work, go to plan B, etc, etc.

Keep your CDL clean, above all else. What you want to do depends on that.

danwantstodrive Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.