40 new Love's locations to be added in 2020

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by shatteredsquare, Feb 14, 2020.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    They make plenty. Compare the Diesel across the street, Truckstops always .30 higher, all the Gas stations cry low margins. But reality is they make money, off it. And plenty off the c store. Add Alcohol and video Poker. Big profit margins. I think about when fuel was twice today’s prices. The moneys at the fuel stop, not the bank teller. Don’t know why I think such things, but it’s has to be a lot of dough, per shift.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    That one is not open yet. Just drove bu it yesterday. Wish they would hurry up and get it opened.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. z32sean

z32sean Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    I worked for a fuel wholesaler. We made about 3 cents a gallon. The small gas stations that we delivered would charge between 2 and 5 cents more than they paid. Sometimes they would charge less than they paid just to get people in the mini Mart

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’m not saying that nobody artificially inflates their prices. There’s a reason prices don’t fall as quickly as they rise. Before the Loves opened in Ontario OR the Pilot was always the same price as the Boise Stage Stop and OR doesn’t collect tax at the pump. But on average they don’t profit much. When my ex wife worked in the office of a truckstop in Missoula 15 years ago they were about 5 to 7 cents per gallon profit.

I’m ignorant on how the fuel cards work and what kind of compensation the stores get. But just because I’m getting 40 cents off it doesn’t mean they’re making 40 cents off a guy paying cash.

And all stuff inside probably has at least 100% markup.

drvrtech77 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Making money IS their business. You think they pay taxes on 6 acres of land so you can just sleep there and go? This isn't charity and if they go out of business they will chain it off and you will lose the 40 spots they had. Why do you think they started charging in most areas now to park? Because nobody pays for anything inside anymore. You guys stock up at Walmart and sleep for free. Somebody has to pay.

stwik, bzinger, kemosabi49 and 5 others Thank this.
  8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    They actually don’t make very much off the fuel...on avg.05 a gallon once all cost are accounted for

D.Tibbitt and shatteredsquare Thank this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Real restaurants are very expensive. They require more labor and food costs are much higher than fast-food.

10. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Yet almost all of the truckstops have a Subway, or chicken/burger fast food microwave garbage.

If they had an actual restaurant more people might want to eat but I can buy lunch meat or frozen nuggets and patties at the grocery store for 1/10th of the price and microwave my own #### whenever I want to eat.

11. geordi

geordi Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2020
    They are making AT LEAST 50 cents a gallon off the diesel - b/c they won't give out a discount to a fuel card that will result in them selling the fuel at a loss. And with my fuel card, I'm getting an average at Loves of 50 cents a gallon, and Flying J / Pilot just increased their discount on the same card to about 42 cents average. I don't mind the difference as much now, and I tend to like PFJ better - but the Loves also gives you a drink with every fuel up where PFJ ya gotta earn it in points. PFJ does half shower credits, Loves doesn't. Always a trade off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.