40 pounds over on trailer axles do you return to shipper to get re-adjusted .. again?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trygg, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No, never worry about anything less then 400-500 lbs unless you've got 1,200 lbs lee-way on the other set and just want to move another hole to attempt to achieve "perfection". It blows my mind the poor understanding of weights and how to properly manage weights that seemingly many new[er] drivers have today. Now, over-gross is another matter and 400-500 lbs may get you into a pickle.

The one time you spend 45 minutes trying to get the weight "perfect", you run across 10 states and never roll across any scale. Also, weigh-in-motion scales are only looking for "general" weights. A axle that is over about 16,000 (32k) will probably flag the pre-pass system for extra scrutiny so don't sweat the minor weight overage issues. If you're on the heavy side, you're on the heavy side regardless ... 16k or 18k, it's all the same to the W-i-M systems.

Skydivedavec and EverLuc Thank this.
  3. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Yea I would be gone and not even thinking about it ,
    I crossed a scale once and I knew it was a bit over , the screen said axle was over by 140 lbs , green light lit and i took the #### off , and didn't look back Hahahahah

koncrete cowboy and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Just run with it. Heck I've had more than a 40 lb differences in gross between the first and reweigh. To me that's well withing the margin of error of any scale.

-Steven

5. reddove

reddove Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    Dude! All you had to do was look on the map to the closest scale house to see if you will burn off the weight in fuel before you get there. Fuel is about 8 pounds a gallon sheesh! 40 POUNDS!!!! LOL

KF7WTV Thanks this.
  6. tangerineGT

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Pretty sure he said trailer axle , thats why he can't move tandems any farther back. Lol

Haven't seen one person say " oh , no its gotta be spot on " yet . Lol

7. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
    Dude! All you had to do was read the title of the post...

Skydivedavec, DE36535 and tangerineGT Thank this.
  8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Well I was looking for the one driver that has experience to ask; Does the 40lbs put you over gross or just over axle?

FUEL? Serious driver....we are discussing tandem weight, not steer or drive! Most newer trucks fuel weight is 97% on the steers....sheesh!

AS LONG AS YOU AREN'T OVER GROSS...GO WITH IT. EVERY SCALE ALLOWS FOR SOME TOLERANCE AS WAS STATED EARLIER.

9. tangerineGT

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Maybe his company puts the fuel tanks at the back of the trailer :biggrin_25525::biggrin_25512:

wonderdog24 and koncrete cowboy Thank this.
  10. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    reserve/emergency reefer supply?:yes2557:

tangerineGT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.