5 Year Contract in Exchange for a New Truck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lohse, Jul 1, 2022.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Nope.

Nope nope nope nope.

Nope.

I would stay far away from that. Myself, I'd tell him I'd like to have (insert model/specs here) but I am not doing any sort of lease or commitment, I will drive it and that is it.

Another Canadian driver and ZVar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjv2744

mjv2744 Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2021
    While I agree in principle on most of the comments that you fine folks have brought up I can tell you the other side. If I knew I had someone that I trusted and knew worked well with me I would possibly do something like this. Some days it is not just about money but also helping others get ahead. There are a few on YouTube where their bosses have done exactly that. Thinking velox and Nevada etc.

as far as the cash bonus that is not fair or realistic the expense is already is in place (the new truck) along with the tax advantage of depreciation etc. to also be on the hook for extra cash is not realistic.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    This in fact could end up being a very clever way to get drivers to stick with the company I mean owning the truck free and clear after 5 years even if it does depreciate in value has still got to be worth a few $. Like you said its all talk at the moment nothings been written down yet and handed to you to sign, but as many have suggested be sure to look over the entire document and do read the fine print, have another contract attorney read it over and see if it needs amending. As most would ask though "whats the catch" if may just be having to work for them for 5 years, well if their a good outfit that'd be fine, if they are the worst employer around then not so good and perhaps that's why their having to dangle a carrot in front of you.

5. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    get a LAWYER to look at it before signing. And let him know your lawyer will give the approval for you to sign, now look for his responce, that will tell it all.

6. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    What a concept!! Be a lot fewer agreements signed if that gets any traction.

7. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Everyone talking about 500k in 5 years... nah. More like 700k in 5 years! (140,000 * 5) 140k is less than 2700 miles per week. 100k is only 1,900 miles per week.

How much would a truck with 700k on the clock be worth in 5 years? My crystal ball is broken, but I don't think it will be worth anywhere near $100K in today's dollars. Even a Paccar would only fetch about half that.

Spec a truck, tell him what the MSRP is for said truck, then propose the retention bonus broken down over 20 quarters. Every 3 months you stay, you get $x/20, so if that truck were $225k, you would get $11,250 bonus every quarter for the next 5 years (possibly even in perpetuity). I bet it won't be met very warmly, rather met with a counter for whatever he thinks the trade-in would be on said truck in 5 years, so $50k/20 = $2,500/quarter.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

8. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    I've consistently made six figures for the last 6 years of trucking. If my current employer offered me a contract like this I would give it a pass.

How nice your truck is doesn't pay the bills.

However, I would consider it if all pay raises during this timeframe are matched to the inflation rate plus 3%.

9. Lohse

Lohse Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Your Mom
    Welp

Operation went tits up today. Apparently he was running on pure debt, losing about 3k a week. Don't ask me how, I didn't want to push the issue, he looked pretty dejected to say the least. I was not entirely unsurprised, he had been acting in a mildly uncharacteristic manner for about a week I figured something was up and he is, or I guess was, in the period where 80% of businesses fail, so kind of put two and two together.

Luckily for me CDL work is a sellers market right now so I'll be fine, already got an interview tomorrow, easy peasy lemon squeezy but he's kinda ####ed for a good while, maxed out his credit cards too, poor #######. That's capitalism for you though, live by the sword and die by the sword.

Boondock and dwells40 Thank this.
  10. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Our family has 4 Lawyers, $300 hr. For family $0 charges

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.