50+ yr old Husb + Wife want to form a team. Advice welcome.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Nortex, Jan 12, 2017.

1. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    I wouldn't turn off your utilities, just cut them off at the main. You'll still have to pay a minimum fee for the connection every month. But it's there when you get home.

Get one of those programmable dial in thermostats, that you can call from your phone. A few hours ahead call in and set the temp to something comfy. Will save you big bucks on electricity.

TequilaSunrise and Danny N Angel Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Danny N Angel

Danny N Angel Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Thanks. Got all except the baling wire, spare trailer parts and rubber snubber for chains.
    Husband wants to know the reason for baling wire???? Is that like a multi- use application?
    I'm looking up the rubber snubber... never heard of that.
    We have lots of different types of flashlights. Our most recent one has a magnetic base and can be used as an emergency beacon.

4. Danny N Angel

Jul 1, 2017
    Great idea!
    But one that will probably have to wait till our first home time... at this point. How would I PM with you on here??? That's like sending an email or instant message?

5. Danny N Angel

Jul 1, 2017
    Thanks for the updates. We will be looking to learn from y'all as well. Stay Safe.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We put our home to sleep. Literally off. Now.. the gas service had continued regardless so it followed the pilot light on the stove and the water heater was bottom dial minimum barely doing anything on pilot. I think the gas bill dropped to like 5 dollars a month on 3 or 4 CCF in those days.

Water? As long everything in that house is sound and does not leak, you will find your water bills pretty low. The problems come here in the ice storms after periods of freeze if you are in the south like me. Certain defensive measures need doing to fight breaks. Which may require you to heat the house to 55 or so.

You will consume a little but nothing like when everyone is home.

The biggie is security. Either have good neighbors or a security alarm that is remotely monitored in combination with a family member able to respond 24/7 with the code to kill it when kids fool with it or something.

Danny N Angel Thanks this.
  7. miss elvee

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Click my name, then click on start a conversation. :)

8. miss elvee

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Baling wire is used like zip ties, but it won't snap in the cold.

Rubber snubbers are the heavy duty all rubber bungee cords.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  9. Danny N Angel

Jul 1, 2017
    We are in houston. So don't have to worry about frozen pipes. But since we don't have cameras in or around our home I'm still concerned a little about water pipes. My cousin came home (lives in the area) from vacation once and some how the water line connected to the fridge had broke and flooded most of her house.
    We do have security that is monitored and I can remotely deactivate it. So my internet and elect. Would have to stay on. I really like the idea of getting a thermostat that's remotely accessible.
    I didn't think about pilot lights.... so gas will have to stay on also. :) Thanks for reminding me about turning down the water heater.

10. Danny N Angel

Jul 1, 2017
    Thanks for explaining what rubber snubbed are... would 3000 lb straps be ok?? I don't really like the rubber ones. So I got rid of all of our and replaced them with tie downs/ straps.

11. Danny N Angel

Jul 1, 2017
    I tried it... now I can't find it. Lol
    Does it work if I'm on my phone and not on a computer?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.