53' spread axle and the king pin to axle rule

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 24valve puller, Feb 21, 2017.

1. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    First off I'd like to start with I don't need help on how to load my wagon, more or less I'm looking for clarification on the rule from people that pull or have pulled a 53' spread. I've read the rule and it seems that for the states I will be running they have a 41' to the center of the suspension rule. Question is has anyone had trouble with a spread since I remember reading somewhere on here that some consider a spread 2 individual axles instead of a "group" which then the rule says 41' to the center of the rear axle. The rule makes no special note for a spread, nor does it say anything about when the front axle is in the air, I'm gonna figure if the axle is not on the ground they will then consider it a single axle trailer. I'm not interested in having the axles slid any further forward than i have to. With the axles all the way to the back and the air dumped off the rear it corners at least as good empty as my closed tandem set around 41' at the rear axle. I hate the way 53' trailers look with a spread slid way up so i want to keep it looking as much like a normal trailer as I can

Oxbow and Ruthless Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Depends on the state I expect. Been pulling 53's with 121" and 72" spreads since the early 90's and I can only remember getting a ticket for wheel base in QC. Not saying it didn't happen elsewhere, just can't recall. Over length yes there's been a couple of them. Been inspected in NY, PA, QC, ON, NB.

Oxbow and 24valve puller Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.