5th Wheel or Gooseneck Coupler? Pro's and Cons of each?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by nvmyrc51, Feb 5, 2019.

1. nvmyrc51

nvmyrc51 Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Florence, KY
    Any advantage or disadvantage to either? Only reason I am asking is the Ram 4500 Chassis Cab I purchased already has a nice Reese 5th Wheel hitch on it. TIA.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    If you already have 5th wheel don't change it out, any gooseneck trailer that has the ball coupler can be converted to 5th wheel by swapping out the coupler, you can buy either a round or square 5th wheel coupler from www.etrailer.com

The ball is better for rough road because it swivels 360*, most 5th wheels only pivot back and forth so every time the truck and trailer are not on even road (such as turning uphill at an angle) the trailer neck is bent side way. This could be a problem if the trailer neck is not strong such as 5th wheel travel trailers it could break the pin box, there are 360* 5th wheel that you can buy but it's not common. For gooseneck trailers I think a regular 5th wheel would be fine, you can install a ball about 5" in front of the 5th wheel and have both.

singlescrewshaker and Yelsew Thank this.
  4. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Agreed. Keep the 5th. Easier to keep greased, & easier to hook up to. Way easier to un hook when that trailer neck is carrying 5-7k lbs. Not fun to try & crank a heavily loaded trailer 8"-10" by the time you unload the trucks spring ride suspension, then up the last 4-5" to clear the ball so you can pull out from under it.. The 5th will also provide much more side to side stability, & an overall smoother ride with less chucking on bridges, & expansion joints..

This is coming from a guy who is currently still using the ball set up because I'm a cheap #######, & the previous owner of my truck tossed the 5th wheel in favor of this stinking ball!!! I hate it, I literally have to uncouple every morning to re grease the ball because the grease won't stay up there & slips down the sides throughout the day..

On a side note, what is that Reese 5th wheel rated at.? Hopefully it's their commercial model that's good for 30k towing & 7.5k pin weight. If that's what you got, you should be good. I believe that one also pivots in all directions, & I've heard is a descent little hitch. I like the mini Binkly 32k 5th wheel too..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.