5th Wheel Placement

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by iamcease, May 24, 2024.

1. iamcease

iamcease Bobtail Member

May 24, 2024
    Miami, FL
    I currently have my fifth wheel all the way back but my truck rocks side to side like crazy. Shocks and airbags are good so it’s nothing to do with that. I’m wondering if moving it forward some will alleviate the constant rock. I’m also feeling it in the steering. Does anybody know if moving 5 wheel forward stop the side to side rocking?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Having it all the way back can make your steering seem light. Most van haulers have it near midpoint between the drives if not just a little bit ahead of that. you should try moving it ahead and see how it feels.

I keep it back running a tanker because out trailer kingpins are near the front of the trailer.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    You could just try it sometime you can just take on things yourself.Or just leave it all the way back it looks cooler there

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Notice with the 5th wheel all the way back, the kingpin sits exactly between the drives. Any further back is dangerous. Though I’ve seen quite a few custom set ups for special situations. On mine there’s no middle of the slide. Closet to the middle is 1 extra adjustment slot visible in front or behind the 5th wheel riser brackets. I prefer 1 less slot visible in front. Just a little bit forward of center. Puts a little extra weight towards the steer. Long wb Truck. Depending on wb, location of tanks, being able to scale out at 80k with an evenly loaded trailer is most important. Once it’s set at the best spot, you can almost always make it legal by putting the rear of tandems, or mudflaps even with the rear of the load. Leaving 6-8ft open at rear of trailer helps. The rest falls into place. Avoids ever needing to move the 5th wheel again.

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    motocross25 and Numb Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    On the back and you can't pack as much weight.

The perfect setting is loaded with full tanks and the steers about 12,750. Most trucks burn off about 2.25 steer pounds to 1 drive pound. Depending on fuel tank location.

Oregon says they'll radio highway patrol if your steers are too light.

I don't know what they consider too light and it's been a few years. Don't know if that thinking still plays out in that state.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think it would.

We have linehaul guys that keep theirs all the way back, but IMHO pulling pups like that is too twitchy. I refuse to ride like that myself.

Best thing to do IMHO is what @snowwy said. Put it where your steer and drive will max out at the same time.

snowwy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.