6 months with PAM

Discussion in 'PAM' started by VIDEODROME, Nov 15, 2008.

1. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Started solo with PAM in May and still sticking with it. I intend to finish my year and get my CDL tuition discount.

I don't regret signing up with them. I was unemployed and not having much luck finding a job and signing up with them got me into a trade. Also I suppose for a noob it was neat to get into an auto-shift truck.

Money wise I could be doing better. Part of it is because this truck has been in the shop to much. After my year is up I'll probably move on to something else.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crazyray

crazyray Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2007
    arcadia LA
    I just completed my first yr with pam, has been really been better than expected, mileage slightly better than promised, I like them in most ways just wish their pay would be more competive.

4. Ken-tucky colonal

Ken-tucky colonal Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2008
    So is it true most all there fleet is "Auto" transmission? How new was your truck? And so it's not bad for a first gig? I'm attending school in about three weeks, and got an offer from PAM.

5. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I started my driving career with PAM and stuck it out with them for the first two years and I don't regret a minute of it. The only thing I regret is quitting.

6. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in

In a way I was spoiled by my first truck. It was a Volvo with a full sized sleeper. Lots of room and a nice ride and because it's PAM it was automatic. They made me give it up though because it was old. They only reason a newbie like myself got to have it was because the driver abandoned for a family emergency. It had 480,000 or so miles and 500k is mandatory retirement for PAM trucks.

Now I have an International 9400i which I'm not as happy with. I was spoiled with the Volvo and the storage in the 9400 just doesn't compare and it is only a midroof. Also this 9400 has been in the shop to much for Air Conditioning, Starter, and Exhaust work. A few times I've been close to asking for a different truck to get rolling again.

Aside from that I also did a short run in a Freightliner Century(while my International was in the shop again). Compared to the International I have I didn't think it was to bad and tit had more storage space.

So basically if you get a choice of trucks I personally wouldn't recommend the International 9400.

7. chaser1

chaser1 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2008
    detroit,michigan
    Wishing you nothing but success and best wishes !!!!

Keep us posted and drive safe !!!

8. xXMelonie74Xx

xXMelonie74Xx Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Indiana
    Wondering how soon from the time you filled out the application to hitting the road was.How was their training layout? Thanks for any info.:biggrin_2554:

9. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    The school I went to was C1 in Fort Wayne, In. That took about a month. I have to say I think it is fair to call this a CDL Mill type of place. I have hear Indianapolis is better though.

Then I had a break for about a week and a half before going out on the road with my PAM trainer so that was a month.

Then I finally get dropped off at their headquarters in Tontitown, AR. I wound up catching a ride with another driver to pick up my assigned truck at another PAM yard up in Flint Michigan.

That is how it worked out for me. I'm sure if can vary a bit. Also the Automakers in Michigan are having a hard time which I think is slowing things down for PAM because we do some parts delivery between them and Mexico. PAM doesn't actually drive in Mexico but we drop loads by the border in Laredo, TX.

10. xXMelonie74Xx

xXMelonie74Xx Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you for sharing that with me.I also heard that pam has automatics?

11. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Complete Fleet is Autos

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.