60,000 driver shortage in the USA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by stacks, Aug 17, 2021.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Better pay will attract those of us whom could. The benefits that are out there dont outweigh the cost of manure we are required to maintain for the job. Until companies truly care for the workers will the shortage end.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wish people would get what they mean by shortage, this all has to do with coverage and capturing freight. These companies can afford to let trucks sit staged in freight lanes waiting for large and medium customers to have freight ready, then they dispatch the truck and it gets replaced by another truck to sit and wait.

The other factor they are taking in account is attrition of the driver pool, they abuse the driver and factor in the job lifetime of a cdl holder in the industry is (IIRC) 18 months on the outside.

They estimate they need 60k drivers to accomplish this type of coverage and cover the attrition.

4. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Should be some new drivers coming over from Afghanistan by the plane load anytime now.

Not to mention the hundreds of thousand already here from points south.
    Put them in old cascadias and point em in the direction they need to head..what shortage.

5. JustCallMeDriver

JustCallMeDriver Light Load Member

May 5, 2021
    I'd hope vets could find better jobs than this unless they just really love trucking, but I'm glad some are coming home regardless

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    just like you copied the text, and pasted it here, you go up to the address bar, and copy the web address, and paste it here.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  7. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Howdy stacks,
    To Post a Link, Start a Reply, look at the "header" and you'll see the small CHAIN LINK without the x.
    Copy whatever Link from a Source and "LEFT Click on the Chain Link", "Right Click to Paste" then "Left Click on Insert".
    Yer Link will appear in Yer Post.
    Trial and Error till NO Error.
    CHEERS!!

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  8. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    No drivers waiting on loads at Indian River. I've lost count of loads I've delivered days late simply because they sat at the yard with noone to pull them.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Bud A., nredfor88, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I believe the OP is referring to the UK. I have seen many pics and stories of empty supermarket shelves there due to a shortage of truck drivers.

Brexit really screwed them up. I made a lucky escape 5 years ago. The thing is many of the people I worked with over there couldn't see the bigger picture all they knew was they didn't want "foreigners", legal EU citizens BTW, coming over and flooding the UK job market. They didn't see the other side of how much the UK relied on the European Union for trade etc.

10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Facebook will change the address. It is better to post it as www.Facebook dot com (then the address). Otherwise trying to follow link will come out like this
    The above link is
    https://www.facebook dot com/DadJokeOfTheDay/photos

11. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Ok
    No driver shortage, just driver churn! When companies realize retention is cheaper than hiring and start taking care of their employees the problem will be alleviated. Driver shortage rumor was started and spread by the large companies to justify poor working conditions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.