60 series 14L high egt

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dustinbrock, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Did you remove the egr valve and egr cooler? I had the same problem, hi temp both water and oil and EGT 1000 F , truck loosing power, once I removed the valve and installed b&w 702 with old type of exhaust manifold, no cooler, just s pipe to the water pump. Now I am climbing Vail pass with 65 mph. The oil temp stays before 200 F. My egr cooler had cracks and hot gases were boosting the water and oil temp to 220 F, because my egr valve stuck open. My turbo bust is at 30 psi max, but the truck really goes..... and it is only 575 HP, 1750 torque - dyno tested. Before with the VN TURBO, I had 40 psi boost, truck overhiting and no power. Once the fuel temp gets to 140 F , the computer starts cutting the fuel and you get power loss.
    If you already removed the valve and cooler, the tune is your problem. Try a different one. Good luck!

Also, don't use 75, put the number what is marked on the injector. No 75 works only on n2 injectors , n3 injectors is 001, but I tried both. If the injectors are original from Detroit they work good with the stamped number.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Blackleg and dustinbrock Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I have a plug welded between the egr cooler and the exhaust manifold and have verified it's still there when I swapped my manifold a couple weeks back, I've also got a plug in the reduced section on the pipe where the delta p lines screw into that x over pipe.

4. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    If the valve is still there with the cooler, this is your problem. That is why your manifold cracked. My old manifold was cracked too, the center piece, and black soot everywhere on the block.

I also had 2 plugs - 1 on the pipe going over the top of the engine and one between the cooler and valve, but the problems were there. Somehow the oil gets hot because the egr valve is controlled with oil pressure. So remove the valve and plug the oil line.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    dustinbrock Thanks this.
  5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Maybe hes on to something.

My buddy has a ddec5 like yours with all that crap gone. He has no issues at all with egts and probably sitting at 650hp

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  6. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I don't see how it could be a issue, the exhaust into the egr valve is blocked and the venturi exiting the egr cooler is blocked so no airflow through it at all.

I've got the oil lines that run to the egr valve blocked off and disconnected as well.

unless there is something I'm missing, I can't see it being a issue. I know the Cooler is very hot very quick but jut assuming it's from coolant running through it.

I'll look it all over again tomorrow to see if there's something I'm not seeing.

Oxbow and swaan Thank this.
  7. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    20180821_210504.jpg
    You can see I have the oil lines to the EGR valve plugged as well as the ports on the valve.

20180821_210450.jpg

Inside this Venturi pipe I have it blocked with a large bolt with washers on either side, when I pressure tested it there was air getting to the too delta p line but not the bottom, there is no air getting through the Venturi into the EGR cooler and there is no leak at the delta p sensor from the air that is going into the top too delta p line.

20180821_210453.jpg

And right here I have a thick metal plate welded and it is air tight, no leaks at all.

Valve guide seals possibly causing my issue? I'm going to pressure test just the turbo tomorrow and take off the oil in and return lines and exhaust from the back and see if it does anything funny at 31psi the pressure I build up is getting into the crankcase somehow in massive amounts and when I was pressuring it up and looking around the valves under the rocker cover , I couldn't see any air bubbles in the oil.

Verdel Thanks this.
  8. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    it should also be mentioned that I have low fuel pressure as well. Screenshot_2018-08-18-02-16-12.png

I put a brand new fuel pump on yesterday and it did not fix the issue of low fuel pressure. at idle I have 10psi whereas this sheet says I should have 18psi. same throughout the rpm range.

9. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk

Just noticed this at my Davco. I know a little bit of bubbles is normal but I'm unsure about this here...... At first glance I didn't see any in my tank but looking very closely I can see bubbles coming back into the tank of my driver side tank, similar amount to what I see in the Davco here.

Gonna throw a sight glass on it tomorrow and run the return into a bucket.

10. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I've got davcos on both my trucks. You shouldn't see any bubbles like your seeing. Deffinatlly a move in the right direction, get that solved.
    That's just at high idle too, full load you might be sucking more air then you think.

11. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Update: it seemed the bubbles on my Davco went away when I fueled up and came back when tank was low so I'm guessing a pickup tube.

I'm currently dead on the side of the road, engine shutdown due to low oil pressure. I checked my oil and it's way over full and smells of diesel fuel so I'm guessing I've got some badly leaking injectors, I knew they were not good when I redid the o rings last week, a few were pitted out and a couple seemed to leak but I was hoping to buy some time as I'm in framing one motor and putting a head on another. .....

gonna pop these injectors out at this pullout I'm at and the wife's gonna come get me, I'll be back in the morning where I'll swap injector cups and injectors to be safe... I went with Delphi from a injector shop last time but I'm gonna details the Detroit ones this time.

guess the leaking injector(s) could explain my low fuel pressure as well that I had.

swaan and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.