65k, 4 chains, good to go

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Old Man, May 6, 2019.

1. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Well it’s a good thing you’re semi retired. Always put chains in the middle. That’s why they put tie down ears right there.

kptnt2016, HoneyBadger67, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Sometimes they are bent or missing, then you have to chain both sides of the pivot. Which sucks ###

cke, wore out, johndeere4020 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    As you know I am pretty loyal to Cat stuff, mainly I suppose because of the dealer support I get, but on the 730s they have that clamp thing that is supposed to go on the rams to prevent articulation. I refuse to put something on that will ride on the chromed rams...that and I'm lazy, so I don't want to get tools out to haul them if I can avoid it. Therefore I always chain both sides of the pivot.

cke, D.Tibbitt, Razororange and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Yeah! Volvo definitely beats cat when it comes to that lock.

IH Truck Guy, cke, Razororange and 3 others Thank this.
  6. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Our 740 is the same way, I chain them.

cke, Oxbow, Razororange and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Same with cat wheel loaders. Volvo and Komatsu use that dog bone looking lock.

cke, Oxbow, Razororange and 2 others Thank this.
  8. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    For whatever it's worth, I have for 40+ years and continue to haul excavators up to 38 tons with (4) 1/2" chains on the corners. The way that dump truck is tucked in the deck, I would be comfortable with 4 1/2" chains. Loaders? I have put in the articulator lock 1 time. Now, if I was crossing scales several times a day like some of you do, I might add more to be "legal".

kptnt2016, cke, W900AOwner and 4 others Thank this.
  9. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I value your opinion and I’m honestly more towards your way of thinking than I am others way of thinking. However we seem to get hassled here more than we used to so putting that extra two chains in the middle literally takes me less than 2 minutes and it keeps the “man” happy. I’m the same way usually on excavators that size. Chains and/or binders on the corners and one over the stick.

MACK E-6, cke, W900AOwner and 6 others Thank this.
  10. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    @johndeere4020 I do the same when I have to jump onto I-80 if going to Truckee. But I still and will never chain down the bucket on a backhoe or loader to keep it from "going up" while in transit. I do this in protest and just wait for the opportunity to argue "why" chain down a loader bucket on a machine that is not running and not chain down a dumpbed on a truck that IS running going down the road. I'm near the end of my career and I don't like some of the stupid rules and I want to see some explanation by those that enforce these rules. I just don't care anymore. I had a 25 ton draw works from a 12 load drilling rig slide sideways about 1' on me years ago in a big sweeping right hand curve. It scared the xxxx out of me. It was on a deck covered with hyd oil and I had one chain slung over the back. But it gave me an idea of how much it took to get things to move. With the machines that lock when they shut down, and good friction material (conveyor belting) it's pretty hard to get stuff to slide.

speedyk, cke, wore out and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    I’m with you on the bucket. That is just a waste of effort.

bigguns, cke, truckdad and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.