70 W near IN state line

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by DTP, Feb 13, 2017.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    News said it happened just before 6 PM. A quick Googley says sunset in Richmond is 6:15 PM. That stretch of road is almost straight west. So, my guess? Dirty windshield and low sun equals lots of glare. That plus driver inattention equals death.

dan31186, Ryan423 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    I was about 1/2 mile back when this happened, all of a sudden just saw a huge cloud of smoke/dust and was hoping whatever it was I could just glide on by. There was plenty of sunlight at the point, and it wasn't blinding. Did not have sunglasses on nor the visor down. Dry, essentially no wind. Had to have been a texting situation

Lepton1, FerrissWheel and not4hire Thank this.
  4. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Not discounting your on-the-scene experience at all, and of course there is a lot of vagueness in the approximate time reports in the news.

I guess the point of my post was for drivers to remember to clean the windshield... and not just the outside. If the driver is a smoker, or if you drive a lot in cities with the windows open, and it doesn't take long for the inside to get coated in grime just like the outside. Anything close to a setting (or rising) sun can produce a lot of glare and that, coupled with distracted driving (as you and others have suggested--and are no doubt correct) is deadly. Not saying for sure that is the case here, as we're all just speculating.

FerrissWheel and DTP Thank this.
  5. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    He apparently looked up in time to see he was about to crash and tried to swerve, which is why I'm guessing he was playing with his phone or something else in the cab. Hope the 2 guys he maimed turn out ok, sad.

bzinger and not4hire Thank this.
  6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Ohio is becoming a truckers graveyard,especially along I-70 where everyone tries to run "balls out". This was an unfortunate accident that could've been avoided.

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  7. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Giving them an easy excuse to lower it back down to 55 mph, which always concerns me when stuff like this happens

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The sun set at about 255 degrees yesterday so about 15 degrees left of a due west heading and was nearing the horizon in the critically bright phase from about 17:45 to 18:10 but I'm not privy to what sort of cloud cover may have existed at the time ... FWIW

And as you bend around the north side of Richmond, you would be heading very near a 255 degree course

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Ryan423, tucker and not4hire Thank this.
  9. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Just when ya think ya know something, someone comes along that knows a whole lot more.
    :p

10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Mind=blown
    (Mushroom cloud forming over head).

11. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Hope Swift loves there in cab cams because those blood sucking lawyers are going to pick it apart and take mr swifty for all its worth.

As for the speed limits, speed would of changed nothing here when you hiring practice is pretty much anyone with a pulse regardless of skill or competence this is what you get. I hope the blood sucking layers make swift fry for this, i'm sick of the megas pushing everyone around when 90% of the time its there ####ing drivers the cause the issues out here.

Excuse my rant and somewhat pissy attitude please, It really burns my noodle to see good people dying because people that dont belong behind the ####ing wheel get a set of keys.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
    Reason for edit: Don't try to defeat the censor in the open forums
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.